Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,444 posts
  • 1507 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:44 PM

Okay, so if I know the root cause is a lack of time to effectively train employees, what can of worms am i opening by including that in a corrective action plan for a CAR?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

brianweber

Brian

• IFSQN Senior
  • 293 posts
  • 114 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Cheese, Coffee, Golf, Scrabble, Food Safety, HACCP, BBQing

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:06 PM

A very large one. First question will be what other areas did you not train your employees in?

Brian

Chris DeV

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 6 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:58 PM

Agreed with Brian. The auditor's response will be: well, why didn't you make the time?

Training of employees is one of those must-haves for any auditing scheme, and is always a fundamental part of your Food Safety program. To say you didn't have time opens up other things you didn't have time for, and what are your employees really doing if they weren't properly trained.

I would recommend falling on your sword and claiming you just let training slip through the cracks.

Chris

Thanked by 2 Members:

Simon

IFSQN...it's My Life

• IFSQN Admin
  • 12,826 posts
  • 1363 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:Married to Michelle, Father of three boys (Oliver, Jacob and Louis). I enjoy cycling, walking and travelling, watching sport, especially football and Manchester United. Oh and I love food and beer and wine.

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:14 PM

You always need a driver for change, so maybe this is the kick up the pants that senior management needs to provide adequate resources.  Of course in doing so you may put your own position at risk; you will know better than I about that. Regardless if lack of employee training is causing food safety issues that could lead to illness of consumers then I think you have a duty to be honest.  Not an easy one.

Regards,

Simon

Get FREE bitesize education with IFSQN webinar recordings.

Download this handy excel for desktop access to over 180 Food Safety Friday's webinar recordings.
https://www.ifsqn.com/fsf/Free%20Food%20Safety%20Videos.xlsx

Check out IFSQN’s extensive library of FREE food safety videos
https://www.ifsqn.com/food_safety_videos.html

Thanked by 1 Member:

Steve_T

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 11 posts
  • 8 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:12 PM

Without knowing the specifics of your particular situation, I'm not sure that a "lack of employee training" could be effectively considered a root cause.  From upper management's perspective, It sounds too much of a generalisation.

In other words, to whom is this lack of training focussed on?

In their initial stages, most employees will need to be supervised and mentored.  Perhaps this supervision / mentoring was poorly done from the outset?  If so, why?

If they are more experienced employees, (and assuming they had been mentored adequately in their early stages of employment) might it actually be a performance related shortcoming?

In my experience, generalisations such as "lack of employee training" can usually only be espoused to those of greater responsibility; when people are placed in situations they are inadequately prepared for, OR, their role has grown beyond their current capabilities.

Good luck.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users