What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Extending the Shelf Life of Food Products

Started by , Dec 10 2015 03:25 PM
10 Replies

If I have a range of products that are 24 months shelf life

and I have a range of products that are 12 months shelf life

Is there any reason why I would not be able to extend the shelf life on the 12 months to 24 months bearing in mind that both use the same the same ingredients (although different composition) and arrive, stored, mixed, packed in the same way?

Murae

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Extending Shelf Life for Dietary Ingredients Extending the shelf life of mango juice What is the common practice for extending shelf life of products produced abroad and sold in the US? Extending shelf life of chilled cooked chicken and rice ready to eat meals based on a customer request How to go about extending the shelf life of sausage patties?
[Ad]

Have you done a shelf life study on the 12 month product at 24 months? Were the results the same as the 24 month product?

1 Like

Hi Murae,

As a corollary to the previous post -

What is the reason that composition variation causes a 100% difference in shelf life ?

Further ditto the above.

Composition can affect the shelf life i.e. water activity, pH etc has a big affect on shelf life. Packaging also has an effect e.g. foil is better than some flexible wraps. Gas flushing also helps. 

Have you done any shelf life studies on the 12month products?

Hi All,

There is no reason for the difference in shelf life apart from they are 2 different brands (both our own)

The packaging used is the same, products are packed the same and all raw materials are treated the same as in checks/storage etc.

Analytically Raw Material tests are carried our for each so there is not any part of composition that is open to unknown issues.

Likewise a range of the 12 month product has been tested when at 24 months which showed product analytically and visually there were no issues.

the 24 month brand was acquired, when acquiring a new business which it was already producing, the 12 month we were already producing on our site. 

Murae

Hi Murae,

I think you are saying that if, for the 2 brands X,Y,  minimum acceptable "Quality" = A, then

Quality of brand X after 24 month is >= A

and

Quality of brand Y after 24 month is >= A

So shelf life for each of brands X,Y is >=  24 months

If I have a range of products that are 24 months shelf life

and I have a range of products that are 12 months shelf life

Is there any reason why I would not be able to extend the shelf life on the 12 months to 24 months bearing in mind that both use the same the same ingredients (although different composition) and arrive, stored, mixed, packed in the same way?

Murae

Shelf life of any products after preserving is

1. Outside temperature ( storage temperature, ambient conditions) if the product stored at low temperature have more shelf life than high temperature, reason high temperature  leads more chemical changes inside food pouches.

12 months at @ 30 C will have 24 months at <20 deg. C 

2. Types of packaging is another factor - barrier properties - WVTR Water vapor transmission rate and OTR Oxygen transmission rate. 

3. Process methodology - please ensure the pouches not contain air inside ( preferable low buoyancy or vacuum packed)

hope this address your problems

1 Thank

Hi Jayaprahesh,

I agree with yr conceptual comments.

Shelf life validation tests should certainly be done under controlled conditions.

Hopefully labelled shelf lives are conservative.

Hi Jayaprahesh,

I agree with your comments in general but for the purpose of my question each brand is treated exactly the same as mention before, packaging the same etc.

As we incorporated a brand the was already set at 24 months I have been tasked to find out why our 12 month brand cannot be the same due to the similarities with each.

I cannot seem to find what will determine an answer as I have carried out testing etc. which has not shown that it would be an issue micro/nutritionally

Murae

We are manufacturer of WVTR&OTR, any help, please feel free to contact me. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Extending Shelf Life for Dietary Ingredients Extending the shelf life of mango juice What is the common practice for extending shelf life of products produced abroad and sold in the US? Extending shelf life of chilled cooked chicken and rice ready to eat meals based on a customer request How to go about extending the shelf life of sausage patties? Liquid nitrogen for extending the shelf life of dried flowers Is extending the shelf-life of frozen fruits food fraud? Preservative for extending the shelf-life of smoked fish dip Extending shelf life of cold sauce condiment Extending the shelf life of carbonated soft drink carbonates