What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Glazing Percentage

Started by , Jan 27 2016 10:26 AM
5 Replies

Hi Folks,

I need some advice with regard to glazing: 

Are there any regulations that state weather the % of glazing should be calculated based on the gross weight or net weight of the product?

Many thanks for your help on this  :spoton:

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Looking for bun glazing process steps and flow chart and ingredients source
[Ad]

Hi Folks,

I need some advice with regard to glazing: 

Are there any regulations that state weather the % of glazing should be calculated based on the gross weight or net weight of the product?

Many thanks for your help on this  :spoton:

Hi james,

A little more info. might help.

RTE?

Product ?

Local consumption / export to X ?

This can be a very murky area.

Net weight usually but as Charles says ......Murky area :)

Hi james,

A little more info. might help.

RTE?

Product ?

Local consumption / export to X ?

This can be a very murky area.

Hi Charles,

Raw Fishery Products, exporting mainly to Europe. 

Have found it to be murky in my investigations. Seafish in the UK have produced a document on glazing but it mentions both options and doesn't say which you should use. I understand there might be a French regulation that stipulates % of glazing must be based on net weight. 

With regard to 
Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011, which states that the gross weight should no longer be declared, it is really for specification purposes rather than for labeling. 

Thanks

Hi Charles,

Raw Fishery Products, exporting mainly to Europe. 

Have found it to be murky in my investigations. Seafish in the UK have produced a document on glazing but it mentions both options and doesn't say which you should use. I understand there might be a French regulation that stipulates % of glazing must be based on net weight. 

With regard to 
Regulation (EU) No 1169/2011, which states that the gross weight should no longer be declared, it is really for specification purposes rather than for labeling. 

Thanks

Hi James,

I'm not familiar with Seafish document.

afaik, there is no general EC regulation regarding glazing but open to correction. As you no doubt know, the topic of deglazed/thawed weights is voluminous and contentious. Historically glazing has always been a potential black sheep phenomenon.

I recall there are some ambiguous EC requirements relating to frozen/thawed retail weights somewhere but which i have never experienced any direct implementation thereof. This issue also overlaps the famous EC logo for retail net weights adhering to legal conventions.

Some EC countries reference the Codex procedure for seafood deglazing (available on-line). I forget which calculative option is used by Codex since i personally stick to "recoveries" which are easier to work with IMO. Contrariwise is the AOAC procedure for thawed net weights (and glazed !).

France did have regulatory glazing requirements when i exported there in the past, along with some other imaginative rules, eg -

water.pdf   451.1KB   14 downloads

(afaik USA has similar restrictions).

Hi James

In Australia we do not have a regulation in regard to glazing. Most chefs here go by the experience and gut feelings.

Having said that my suggestion to work with recoveries.

Other members have already made references to French, EU regulation no 1169/2011 and seafish document from UK . None of these document give to definite answer and just only provide guideline.

Kind regards

Dr. Humaid Khan

Similar Discussion Topics
Looking for bun glazing process steps and flow chart and ingredients source