What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Bakery - Testing if food is potentially hazardous / high risk

Started by , Feb 11 2016 03:03 PM
1 Reply

I work for a large bakery and we occasionally develop products and are unsure if they are safe at ambient temperatures and require refrigeration.  

An example would be cream cheese frosting used on carrot cake, or chocolate brownie that is cooked for a short period and is very soft.  It is my understanding that water activity and PH values could be used to detmine the products safety at ambient temp, do members agree with this? 

If so do people have any reccomendations on suitable equipment to measure these values? 

Thanks in advance

Neil

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Food Safety Considerations in a Pinsa Bakery Dry Cleaning in Bakery Goods Kill step measurement for bakery items Is Colour E 129 permitted to use in Fine Bakery Wares in the EU? Bakery - Proofing Boxes & Cleaning
[Ad]

I work for a large bakery and we occasionally develop products and are unsure if they are safe at ambient temperatures and require refrigeration.  

An example would be cream cheese frosting used on carrot cake, or chocolate brownie that is cooked for a short period and is very soft.  It is my understanding that water activity and PH values could be used to detmine the products safety at ambient temp, do members agree with this? 

If so do people have any reccomendations on suitable equipment to measure these values? 

Thanks in advance

Neil

Hi Neil,

Thks yr query and Welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

Yr understanding is partially correct but IMO safety may also be (generically) related to the micro.status of the ingredients  / precise process-cooking conditions / intended shelf life, etc.

(The parameters you mention are related to micro. growth potential, they do not preclude contamination surviving the baking process or being subsequently added)( afaik bakers are fond of assuming that achievance of a safe (baked) product is confirmable by visual acceptability :dunno: ).

IMO it is likely that there will be local regulatory rules regarding storage/shelf life in place if an RTE product.

Not my product area but info. as to yr specific request will probably be forthcoming.

Similar Discussion Topics
Food Safety Considerations in a Pinsa Bakery Dry Cleaning in Bakery Goods Kill step measurement for bakery items Is Colour E 129 permitted to use in Fine Bakery Wares in the EU? Bakery - Proofing Boxes & Cleaning Refreezing Bakery Products Cooling Product in Small bakery Bakery Water Chiller Risk Assessment ISO22000 for caterings and bakery stores EU food colours permissibility status for bakery wares