What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Does AIB require coving at the wall floor junction?

Started by , Mar 02 2016 03:58 PM
4 Replies

Hi All,

The AIB standard does not specifically call for coving at the wall floor junction, just that it be cleanable.  I could have sworn someone posted an AIB guidance document here where they clarified that they did want to see proper coving.  Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction here?  Thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
What does SQF require one to test in the compressed air that has indirect contact with food? Distance allowed to place containers in the wall Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor Is wearing of steel toe shoes required on the plant floor? Floor Scrubber-Floor cleaning machine
[Ad]

If it does not explicitly require it in the standard then it is not a "must do".  I couldn't find the latest food version, but I did find the 2000 version and it states the quoted text below.  What it says is your construction must be cleanable and coving is a good way to facilitate this.  To demonstrate compliance your wall / floor junctions must be clean when inspected and if you manage that by other means than coving then no auditor can argue.  If not they may say "have you thought of coving?" and write you up an NC.

Floors, walls, and ceilings shall be of such construction as to be adequately cleanable and kept in good repair. The following are further guidelines to assist in this:

b. Wall/floor junctions and corners should be coved to facilitate cleaning. Cavities in the surface of walls and floors should be avoided to prevent debris from lodging and to avoid pest harborage.

I think I have a copy of the latest standard on the computer in my office. I'll look tomorrow and post again.

That being said, AIB does use "shall" and "should". The former meaning it has to be that way, the latter meaning "best practice" or "strongly suggested".

That being said, every facility I have worked in has C*#! base where it is needed.. generally in office areas or dedicated wet clean areas. 

I can't imagine the reason or the need for C*#! base throughout a facility. It's much harder to adequately clean and costs more. 

If your wall/floor junctions are whole, and clean, I hardly see why they should be coved.

Marshall

do a search in your standard. If you are using the Prerequisite manual review section 2.5 and 2.7. 

If you want to have a written argument on if you need it then on the AIB website you can send an email to an auditor or call them. I use it often and get an email. I also like our auditor as we have the same one for 3 years so as a partner in our facilities success I work with the auditor on my 'standard' questions.

www.aibonline.org

Click on 'Learn who we are'.

Then click on 'Free information'

Go to 'Ask an Expert'.

They answer questions in English and Spanish. It states they answer questions on food safety, food safety legislation, nutritional labeling and much more. We spend lots of $$ on having them audit our plants. It is too our benefit but I suggest utilizing them as much as possible :)\

Sarah

YES !! :gleam:

Similar Discussion Topics
What does SQF require one to test in the compressed air that has indirect contact with food? Distance allowed to place containers in the wall Reusable Water Bottles on plant floor Is wearing of steel toe shoes required on the plant floor? Floor Scrubber-Floor cleaning machine Cases on floor in Cooler Storage Epoxy Floor Coatings issue BRC 4.15.1 - Raw Material on Floor How to comply with the standard of not storing product directly on the floor? What to do with meat dropped on the floor?