What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How do I go about my annual review of SQF elements?

Started by , Apr 08 2016 07:30 PM

idealdreams, You're specifically talking about the annual document review, correct?

At our facility, we have a "Annual Documentation Review" sheet that we fill out for each document being reviewed. It states the document number, name, current revision, and responsibility (person who reviews the document). The second half, which the reviewer completes, has check box options: "I've reviewed the document and find it to still be current", "A document revision is needed", and "This document is no longer active" (along with a line for the reason). They then sign off on it and date it.

Then all of these review sheets are attached to the most-recent version of the document and stored in a binder. If a document needs to be revised, it goes through the process and then the new document is put in the binder, along with this sheet and another sheet that summarizes the changes (the old revision then goes into an archive.

We've never had an SQF auditor complain until the most recent guy, who was a...well, he was very detail-oriented and liked having things his way. (Apparently, flipping through a binder was too much effort and time for him) So now we have a "last review date" column in our document register, but we also have a paper trail as proof that the review did take place.

I hope this helps!

-Christina

7 Replies

Hi all,

It's been a year since I've begun SQF and even though we have not been audited or certified yet, I need to begin the annual review. What is an acceptable way to do this to show the auditor a review has taken place?

I have created a document for each subsection for the relevant modules in SQF. For example, I have separate documents outlining procedures and policies for 2.1.1, 2.1.2, 2.1.3, etc., so would the best way to conduct an annual review be to go through each document and add a "review" section to show it was reviewed and on which date? Or would be be better to record something like this in the document register?

Thoughts?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF 2.3.2 - Mandatory Elements Inquiry about food safety culture elements Annual Food Safety & Quality Training Tips on remembering all of the Sections, Clauses and Elements of SQF Annual Water Testing
[Ad]

Hi

Please visit the following link and download the document which will help you in implementing the auditing system.

http://www.sqfi.com/...uidance-7.2.pdf

Kind regards

Dr. Humaid Khan

MD Halal International Services

Australia

idealdreams, You're specifically talking about the annual document review, correct?

At our facility, we have a "Annual Documentation Review" sheet that we fill out for each document being reviewed. It states the document number, name, current revision, and responsibility (person who reviews the document). The second half, which the reviewer completes, has check box options: "I've reviewed the document and find it to still be current", "A document revision is needed", and "This document is no longer active" (along with a line for the reason). They then sign off on it and date it.

Then all of these review sheets are attached to the most-recent version of the document and stored in a binder. If a document needs to be revised, it goes through the process and then the new document is put in the binder, along with this sheet and another sheet that summarizes the changes (the old revision then goes into an archive.

We've never had an SQF auditor complain until the most recent guy, who was a...well, he was very detail-oriented and liked having things his way. (Apparently, flipping through a binder was too much effort and time for him) So now we have a "last review date" column in our document register, but we also have a paper trail as proof that the review did take place.

I hope this helps!

-Christina

1 Thank

Christina, that method sounds like it will be the perfect method for us to implement here. Thank you for the input & assistance!

Christina, that method sounds like it will be the perfect method for us to implement here. Thank you for the input & assistance!

You're very welcome! I'm glad that it will work out for you! 

In addition to what Christina shared on making sure the programs and documents are up-to-date our SQF Auditors also expect a review of

1. the Internal and External audit findings and corrective actions for the past year to include any non-compliances from your government program.  In the U.S. it is our USDA or FDA.
  2. a review of any Corrective Actions for the items listed in #1 above and their Investigations and Resolutions
  3. a review of Customer Complaints and their Resolutions 
  4. finally a Summary of the overall Review.  In the Summary they want wording that supports that your Food Safety and Quality Systems are working properly to ensure a high quality and safe product.

Basically I think in the reviews 1-3 they want you to ensure that while you may have had some issues that you have not consistently had the same issue with the same root cause.

Good Luck on your 1st Audit!

Hello

Christina and Mulan1010, I have a question about your annual documentation review procedure.  Does it state in your procedure "who" is responsible for the review?  I understand you have documented this on your sheet that is attached to the documents but in the procedure itself does it specify? 

The reason why I am asking is because we are starting our review process but our procedure specifies that the management team will be responsible for the review.  This makes it more difficult because we have to set aside time as a group to do the review.  Is it possible to assign a group of documents to individuals on the team or must it be done as a group?

Thanks for your time.

Shanna

get rid of the team portion and leave it as vague as you can, something like, appropriately trained personnel.

Management should sign off on major changes, but otherwise keep it simple and relevant

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF 2.3.2 - Mandatory Elements Inquiry about food safety culture elements Annual Food Safety & Quality Training Tips on remembering all of the Sections, Clauses and Elements of SQF Annual Water Testing HACCP annual reassessment form for RTE facility What are the elements that need to be included in the final product specification? Management Review using Pyramid for KPI BRC annual management review and internal audit running less than a year? Is it possible to use elements and information from other systems in my FSSC 22000 system?