What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How to destroy this pollution (E.coli and mold) in spice mix?

Started by , Apr 18 2016 03:53 PM
10 Replies

Hello,

I found that the product (spice mix) is pollution with E.coli and mold.

How can destroy this pollution (E.coli and mold)?

The drying process help or ...

If helps - please give info a temperature and time.

Maiga

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Mold growth under large batch tanks VACCP vulnerability assessment for spice mixes and snack pellets Mold Growth in Pie Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Micro-testing (E.Coli, Salmonella, Yeast and Mold) for supplier
[Ad]

Hello,

I found that the product (spice mix) is pollution with E.coli and mold.

How can destroy this pollution (E.coli and mold)?

The drying process help or ...

If helps - please give info a temperature and time.

Maiga

Hi Maiga,

I am confused.

Yr other thread shows "negative" E.coli ?

http://www.ifsqn.com...on/#entry100474

Hi -

it is another spice mix (dill, cumin, parsley). Thank you for your attention!!!

I have the possibility of re-dried (max 130 C) but I am not sure : will it help reduce pollution mould and E.coli?

Maiga.

Hi -

it is another spice mix (dill, cumin, parsley). Thank you for your attention!!!

I have the possibility of re-dried (max 130 C) but I am not sure : will it help reduce pollution mould and E.coli?

Maiga.

Hi Maiga,

Thks for clarification.

How much is "polluted" ?

It may relate to Post 7 in yr other thread. Are the spices heat-treated / have a specification ??

Mold 10000 count/g
E.coli 3 count/g

Spices are not heated.

Mold 10000 count/g
E.coli 3 count/g

Spices are not heated.

Hi Maiga,

Difficult to make conclusions based on 1 sample.

The E.coli result is not particularly significant.

Spices frequently have high mold counts due to origin and processing.

You asked about drying, spices not my area at all but you may find this link and attachments of interest -

http://en.howtopedia...o_Process_Spice

good agricultural practices for spices, herbs, iosta.pdf   160.69KB   13 downloads

micro. quality spices,herbs in retail markets, 1982.pdf   531.16KB   11 downloads

micro quality,mycotoxin red pepper,2012.pdf   188.73KB   11 downloads

Campden, microbial update,Herbs-and-Spices.pdf   988.55KB   15 downloads

Hi,

Thank you for the helpful information!

Maiga

Herbs and spices are a well known source of micro contamination if not heat treated.  I wouldn't use any for ready to eat applications unless they are heat treated if I'm honest.  There have been a few outbreaks associated with them and even when cooked e.g. in a sauce, overall loading levels can still be high.

Herbs and spices are a well known source of micro contamination if not heat treated.  I wouldn't use any for ready to eat applications unless they are heat treated if I'm honest.  There have been a few outbreaks associated with them and even when cooked e.g. in a sauce, overall loading levels can still be high.

This.  I was part of a 1+ million pound recall as a result of using non-irradiated spices to coat a RTE shelf stable product.  Oops  :oops2:

This.  I was part of a 1+ million pound recall as a result of using non-irradiated spices to coat a RTE shelf stable product.  Oops  :oops2:

Oh dear...  We don't tend to use many irradiated spices and herbs in the UK but we tend to use heat treated instead.  Irradiated is an option if that's ok with your customers.  The EColi result could be significant as it's presence could mean higher levels could be present another time and who knows when that could be a really nasty toxin producing one?   :helpplease:

The key thing for me is HACCP, you can't test something to make it safe, you need to design a safe process.

Hello,

especially for spices we had a supplier in my former company using saturated steam and vacuum for "debacterization". Worked well in our case, and showed less impact than just dry heat process. Perhaps it is also worth thinking that way.

Yours

Similar Discussion Topics
Mold growth under large batch tanks VACCP vulnerability assessment for spice mixes and snack pellets Mold Growth in Pie Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Micro-testing (E.Coli, Salmonella, Yeast and Mold) for supplier Control of Yeast and Mold in Ambient Filled Shelf Stable Dressing without Preservatives If a rat chews a sack of flour do you need to destroy the whole sack? Relative moisture parameters in a warehouse for dried spice Yeast and Mold APC Limits What tools would you recommend to test e.coli, salmonella and listeria?