What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Organic Change-overs

Started by , May 20 2016 05:06 PM
1 Reply

Hello!

My facility is interested in beginning production of a 70% organic ("made-with-organic...") version of our product along side our non-organic product (parallel operation). We use a salt in our non-organic product that contains YPS, a prohibited substance in organic products. We mix the salt into a slurry in a mix tank that would also be used to mix the organic slurry. To perform a change-over currently, we empty the lines & perform a water rinse of the tank & lines, followed by a rinse with oil, an then another water rinse. After speaking with a certifying agency, they said that that same change-over process would likely be okay for changing over to organic product as long as we validate it. This is where I get stuck.

Would ATP swabbing, considering the ingredients going into the tank (refined oil + others), be applicable for this situation or is there another rapid test that can be performed to ensure no prohibited substances remain for organic production?

Thank you!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? Organic Audit - Food Storage and Distribution Organic Food Fraud program Is there a difference between Organic Food Fraud and Conventional food fraud? GMO Testing for Organic Corn
[Ad]

Hi Bailey39,

I would look to validate your changeover procedure by having the first organic product off analyzed for YPS whilst at the same time recording your ATP results & rinse setting (times/flow/volumes etc.).

This way in the future you can verify rinse is satisfactory using ATP knowing you have analysis that proves the rinse is effective. I am assuming that product residues will be detected effectively by ATP?

Also if you CIP then organic would normally be the first product off to further reduce the risk of cross-contamination.

Kind regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
Requirements for shipping organic product that is sealed and only distributed by a certified distributor? Organic Audit - Food Storage and Distribution Organic Food Fraud program Is there a difference between Organic Food Fraud and Conventional food fraud? GMO Testing for Organic Corn Organic Status - Flour Production Organic Material - Inventory Discrepancies Organic Fraud Prevention Guide How to control flour beetle in an organic mill? FSSC 22000 VERSION5.1 Organic Mineral HACCP Plan