What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Laundering of protective clothing for FSSC 22000

Started by , Jul 05 2016 09:58 PM
7 Replies

Hello All,

My company (cookie and crackers manufacturer) is in the process of implementing FSSC 22000, we initially started with BRC but found the requirements too rigid and therefore changed to FSSC 22000. Currently our employees wash there own protective clothing, presently my company does not want to take on the added cost of laundering the clothing internally or by laundry mat.

Does anyone have a procedure or policy that could guide employees on washing their own workwear and any validation method that could be used by the company to verify that process is effective.

I plan to do a risk assessment for self care of protective clothing, validate by microbiological testing using a sampling plan and by swabbing on a predetermined basis to ensure continues compliance.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I am all about controlled laundering however management does not want to go this route.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Laundering Uniforms/Coats Frequency of laundering in paper cups manufacture Laundering safe temperatures to destroy pathogens etc. BRC IoP Issue 5 Home Laundering Laundering Of Clothing (Cat B)
[Ad]

Management will go the route of controlled laundering when the first incident occurs that is directly related to uncontrolled laundering.

Have had to prod and push some clients to send out the uniforms for professional cleaning, all have.

Hi Jessicacff,

I'll try to translate the document we use:

- Wash the work clothes separated from other clothes.

- Don't use clothes softener.

- Dry clothes inside home.

- Laundry at a temperature above 60 degrees.

To validate it, you could use microbiological testings. And you should verificate it using microbiological analysis and visual checks.

Hello Jesicacff

Besides the laundering method per se do not forget to add some instructions related to clothing protection from the moment the clothes are dried till the moment of use ( including transportation). Regards

What would be the reference standards for the microbiology testing standards  and visual check parameters in such cases. thanks

I appreciate the feedback, thanks for the guidelines i will definitely be using them.

I will post my completed policy and validation method for your feedback 

I will also continue to push for controlled laundering.

Regards,

Jessica Streete

There are several previous threads on this topic.

The frequent decider in the argument for sending outside has been the validation/verification.

Unless you have an undemanding auditor.

I appreciate the feedback, thanks for the guidelines i will definitely be using them.

I will post my completed policy and validation method for your feedback 

I will also continue to push for controlled laundering.

Regards,

Jessica Streete

Hi Jessica - did you complete your policy and validation method? was it successful?

Similar Discussion Topics
Laundering Uniforms/Coats Frequency of laundering in paper cups manufacture Laundering safe temperatures to destroy pathogens etc. BRC IoP Issue 5 Home Laundering Laundering Of Clothing (Cat B) Could anyone recommend a test kit to validate laundering of garments? In house laundering Smock laundering at home On-site Laundering