Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 76 posts
  • 4 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 October 2015 - 07:49 PM

I have searched just about every string on this site in regards to laundering uniforms - with no luck to finding an answer, so I figured I would ask my own question.  I am a printer of labels going for BRC Iop Issue 5.  How on Earth does one come up with a policy for washing ones clothes at home and how can it be controlled?

We do not have uniforms, nor is that an option, and I am pretty sure there is no way we will be buying a washer and dryer as we allow street clothes.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?? :blink:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5662 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 29 October 2015 - 12:39 AM

I have searched just about every string on this site in regards to laundering uniforms - with no luck to finding an answer, so I figured I would ask my own question.  I am a printer of labels going for BRC Iop Issue 5.  How on Earth does one come up with a policy for washing ones clothes at home and how can it be controlled?

We do not have uniforms, nor is that an option, and I am pretty sure there is no way we will be buying a washer and dryer as we allow street clothes.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?? :blink:

Hi djammur,

I deduce you mean a procedure which does not use a washing machine ? Correct ?

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

Mohan@

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 81 posts
  • 2 thanks
Neutral

• India
    India
  • Interests:Gardening, travelling,

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:27 AM

In IoP it is shall a requirement for clothing and laundering.

By understanding, your concern, I suggest you consider below points:

1. Clothing is a must requirement, and provide suitable cloths/attires to handlers
  2. Laundering, again a must requirement. Schedule and draw a plan for laundering (In-house or outside), by considering the chemicals, frequency, cloth category.
  3. To validate laundering, go for regular inspection on laundered cloth and do microbial swabs few times.

Regards,

Mohan

Thanks Regards, Mohan Whatsapp No: +91 9743114693

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:15 AM

Hi djammur,

Sounds like you fall into the basic hygiene category
BASIC HYGIENE
This category applies to packaging manufacturers producing packaging for products that are less vulnerable to hygiene risk.
Packaging that will be used for a product that is already in an impermeable pack:
• labels used for any product in plastic/glass jars or metal cans
• corrugated case for film over wrapped biscuits where the case is filled in a different area to the biscuit wrapping.

This means the laundry of clothing is not addressed in the requirements, you need to ensure that they are 'clean' ;) . BRC basic hygiene requirements are:
6.4 PROTECTIVE CLOTHING
Appropriate protective clothing shall be worn in production and storage areas to minimise the risk of product contamination.
The risk of product contamination from clothing, hair or personal items shall be minimised.
6.4.1 Hazard and risk principles shall be used to determine the need for protective clothing, including garments and footwear in raw materials handling, preparation, production and storage areas.
Where no need for protective clothing has been established by risk assessment, it shall be fully justified and shall not pose a contamination risk to the product.
6.4.2 The company shall use risk assessment to determine, document and communicate to all employees, including temporary personnel and contractors, the rules regarding:
• the wearing of protective clothing on the journey to work
• the wearing of protective clothing in raw materials handling, preparation, production and storage areas
• the wearing of protective clothing away from the production environment (e.g. removal before entering toilets, canteen or smoking areas).
6.4.3 Where protective clothing is used it shall be kept adequately clean. Changes of clothing shall be available as required.
6.4.4 Where protective clothing is used, clean and dirty clothing shall be segregated and controlled to prevent cross-contamination.
6.4.5 Disposable protective clothing, if used, shall be subject to adequate control to avoid product contamination.

Regards,

Tony

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,223 posts
  • 1288 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 31 October 2015 - 03:36 AM

In IoP it is shall a requirement for clothing and laundering.

By understanding, your concern, I suggest you consider below points:

1. Clothing is a must requirement, and provide suitable cloths/attires to handlers
  2. Laundering, again a must requirement. Schedule and draw a plan for laundering (In-house or outside), by considering the chemicals, frequency, cloth category.
  3. To validate laundering, go for regular inspection on laundered cloth and do microbial swabs few times.

Regards,

Mohan

You are confusing the two hygiene categories:

The requirements of the Standard for Issue 5 are divided into two hygiene categories depending upon the intended use of the packaging and consequent standards of hygiene under which the packaging is produced. The decision tree (Figure 1) helps to define the appropriate hygiene category for any particular use.
In general, the two categories of requirements can be considered as follows:
• High hygiene Packaging that comes into direct contact with food products or other designated hygiene-sensitive products
(such as those intended for human consumption or that come into contact with the body; for example, by application to the skin).
• Basic hygiene Primary packaging not in direct contact with food or other hygiene-sensitive products; packaging for consumer products; and the secondary and tertiary packaging for all uses

HIGH HYGIENE Requirements are in 6.5 PROTECTIVE CLOTHING Page 40

BASIC HYGIENE Requirements are in 6.4 PROTECTIVE CLOTHING Page 64

Regards,

Tony

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users