What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Infrared Thermometer Calibration

Started by , Sep 01 2016 03:52 PM
5 Replies

On our last audit, The auditor asked how we calibrate the IR gun used to check the temperature of frozen or chilled incoming goods.  After a call to the manufacturer, I found out it is not even a possible to calibrate our gun.  

What types of IR guns do you use in your facility and what methods do you use to calibrate and validate?

Thanks in advance,

AM

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Metal detectable Infrared thermometer? Infrared Thermometer Calibration Infrared thermometers Infrared thermometers as a form of temperature verification of incoming raw materials? Infrared lazer Thermometer
[Ad]

For all thermometers we have, we use the ice bath method for calibration. In the event that an IR gun is out of range we will either send it out to get calibrated or purchase a new one.

I was thinking something along those lines.

What do you think of a program involving a monthly Validation with the Ice Bath Method and an annual Calibration by an outside company?

AM

Should cover you off, how vital is that temperature control? Is it involved in a CCP? Maybe include it in a risk analysis. 

It is not a CCP.  Fridge and Freezer only used for raw ingredient storage.  All our finished goods are shelf stable.  The auditor was really digging deep to find issues.  

On our last audit, The auditor asked how we calibrate the IR gun used to check the temperature of frozen or chilled incoming goods.  After a call to the manufacturer, I found out it is not even a possible to calibrate our gun.  

What types of IR guns do you use in your facility and what methods do you use to calibrate and validate?

Thanks in advance,

AM

Hi AnnMarie,

I do wonder if there was some communication problem with the manufacturer.

Try this thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...ed-thermometer/

Similar Discussion Topics
Metal detectable Infrared thermometer? Infrared Thermometer Calibration Infrared thermometers Infrared thermometers as a form of temperature verification of incoming raw materials? Infrared lazer Thermometer Infrared thermometers for goods temperature check during receiving? Infrared temp. guns that can be calibrated at home Infrared Gun Recommendations Infrared Thermometer calibration Infrared Thermometer Recommendation