Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 23 January 2024 - 10:38 PM

I am about to purchase a few of infrared thermometers for checking our meat temperature since it is sliced very thin so can't use the probe ones. I do have a reference thermometer (NIST traceable certificate) which i use to calibrate all my other probe thermometers and they all come with their own calibration certificates. Do I need to buy the infrared ones that come with a calibration certificate or should i be good with the certificate and just keep them verifying with the inhouse reference thermometer. My plan is to discard them once they out of calibration and get new ones since it is cheaper that way.  

nwilson

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 118 posts
  • 51 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 23 January 2024 - 11:20 PM

I've used these, as they come with a NIST Cert and have both probe and infrared capabilities, to calibrate all thermometers in house.  When an infrared went to far out of spec I would dispose and purchase new as you have stated.  

https://www.comarkin...od-pro-plus-us/

:coffee:

Thanked by 1 Member:

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 January 2024 - 06:57 PM

I am about to purchase a few of infrared thermometers for checking our meat temperature since it is sliced very thin so can't use the probe ones. I do have a reference thermometer (NIST traceable certificate) which i use to calibrate all my other probe thermometers and they all come with their own calibration certificates. Do I need to buy the infrared ones that come with a calibration certificate or should i be good with the certificate and just keep them verifying with the inhouse reference thermometer. My plan is to discard them once they out of calibration and get new ones since it is cheaper that way.  

Doing the same here.  We're using some simple ones from Fischer Sci that have a basic manufacturers certificate, and junk them when they fail a twice-weekly two point verification.

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 636 posts
  • 182 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 January 2024 - 07:14 PM

Same opinion as the above.  So long as they come with a calibration cert to start, you don't need the expensive ones that can be recalibrated so long as you're verifying them against one that is calibrated.  Frequency becomes a factor for in-house verifications, so I'd suggest verification at each shift change.  If you go something like weekly, everything checked that past week becomes suspect when an in-house verification fails the following week.

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 January 2024 - 08:40 PM

Am i wrong?   I don't like IR thermometers for food safety.   There seems to be other factors that can effect their accurate use (emissivity settings, distance, environmental factors, etc).   I guess if you are testing moving objects there probably isn't another way.   but if not, in this case, wouldn't a surface probe be better?  I guess it depends on what you are using it for.

like this:

https://www.webstaur...DUaAhBJEALw_wcB

eb2fee_785dceddab034fa1a30dd80c7e21f1d7~

Twofishfs@gmail.com

parth3302

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 January 2024 - 09:03 PM

Yes you are right that IR thermometers are less accurate but for our product thats the only option because our meat is sliced very thinly and we check the temperature while its being cooked o a vertical grill. 

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 January 2024 - 10:07 PM

Yes you are right that IR thermometers are less accurate but for our product thats the only option because our meat is sliced very thinly and we check the temperature while its being cooked o a vertical grill. 

I see.  That might make more sense then.   

Just curious. Do you ever have auditors ask about the emissivity of the product vs what emissivity the thermometer is set to, calibrated at, etc?   Ie - has your emissivity factor been validated for the product tested?  The emissivity of food and water is probably so close its probably a non issue and probably reflect a less than actual temp, which is obviously safer than higher than actual.   or ask about distance or angle of the reading?

Twofishfs@gmail.com

parth3302

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 24 January 2024 - 10:26 PM

You are right, emissivity factor has to be taken into consideration but we are just preparing for our first audit so don't know yet if it could cause a problem

kingstudruler1

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 856 posts
  • 293 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 January 2024 - 02:55 PM

You are right, emissivity factor has to be taken into consideration but we are just preparing for our first audit so don't know yet if it could cause a problem

ok, I was just curious as i have never used them.  

Twofishfs@gmail.com

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 25 January 2024 - 04:53 PM

I don't recall having auditors or inspectors ask many technical questions about any of our thermometers, or other instruments.  Even the district EIAO audit.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users