What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Calculating least sterilization z value

Started by , Sep 16 2016 02:52 PM
2 Replies

i need help determining z values with a temperature change 

i have a client who mfg a salad dressing with a ph of 3.0 and CCP is less than 3.5 

he heats with the current process to 200F and holds for 5 minutes , cools and hot fills at 180F and inverts for 2 minutes 

how would Z values compare if he reduces heat to 195F and holds for 1 minute , then hot fills at 180F 

is there software to compare heat treatments to themal death rate to maintain 5 log reduction ?

thx

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Calculating %DV for Nutrition Facts Table Calculating percent (%) DV (daily value) for protein? Law of Cooling for calculating time Calculating time and temperature for thawing a certain volume of frozen meat? Need a USA file for calculating nutrition facts and rounding for vitamins
[Ad]

i need help determining z values with a temperature change 

i have a client who mfg a salad dressing with a ph of 3.0 and CCP is less than 3.5 

he heats with the current process to 200F and holds for 5 minutes , cools and hot fills at 180F and inverts for 2 minutes 

how would Z values compare if he reduces heat to 195F and holds for 1 minute , then hot fills at 180F 

is there software to compare heat treatments to themal death rate to maintain 5 log reduction ?

thx

Hi Paul,

Not really my area but I deduce from IT that -

"salad dressing" may be FDA regarded as an acid food rather than an acidified one.

The crude  F(T,z) lethality values for each stage (assumed to refer constant, coldest temp. point ) can be calculated as per analogous formula to that in this attachment -

Lethality calculation.doc   79.5KB   125 downloads

Strictly you will need appropriate z-value.

The "121"/z values should, i think, preferably be referenced to a level close to yr pasteurizing temperature (eg.90degC). Maybe can try z= 10 for both temps in degC just to get an idea. Then add the 2 stages together.

Conservatively, could calculate for 1st stage only, eg ca. (5).[10 ^((93.3-90)/10)] = 10.7 for 1st option. Similarly > 1.12 for 2nd option.

And yes, excel programs for F are available and posted on this forum (somewhere). Particularly developed for temperatures not constant.

The above calculation compares yr applied F values.

Afaik the Z value itself  is based on the applied lethality achieving a typical 5log bacterial reduction of species XYZ so may/may not be satisfied by the F values above.

This "validation" step requires a further calculation to determine No.of log reductions of XYZ achieved.

(In practice, i believe  Z- "least sterilization values" may have additional safety factors built in also).

So the final step probably requires your specifying a relevant XYZ species, eg L.monocytogenes, determining (searching for) its appropriate D (Decimal Reduction) value for the food matrix involved, and applying one more calculation.

PS - this ref. contains  recommended heat processing time/temperature combinations for a 5-log reduction in bacterial pathogens for acidified products with a pH of 4.1 or below -

Thermal processing of acidified foods, 2010.pdf   154.51KB   139 downloads

An additional table was issued in a Draft FDA document (2010) -

Thermal Process Lethalities for Safe Acidified Foods,2010.doc   47.5KB   108 downloads

1 Thank

addendum JFI

Hi Paul,

I noticed later that yr actual thread title was seeking "least sterilizing value" (LSV). This might have additional  expectations as compared to my interpretation of the queries in OP as seeking a lethality value based on a specific pathogen.

As I understand, LSV (as related to filing forms for "scheduled processes")  can have a rather complicated interpretation and typically seems to be usually reserved for a Process Authority's enumeration. For example see this 2015 thread -

http://www.ifsqn.com...water-activity/

I have since seen some further indication that the LSV value does relate to an assessment including both terms (a,b) within the practical context of ensuring "commercial sterility" however i have been unable  to determine whether a particular microbial species is routinely used for the additional "b" requirement or if it varies depending on the product. The latter seems more logical.

PS - further info. -

the F0 (lowest sterilizing value) of the process which results in a commercially sterile product. An F0 of 3.0 minutes is required to achieve a 12 log reduction of Clostridium botulinum1. A higher F0 is required to prevent the growth of non-pathogenic thermophilic spoilage organisms. The F0 is the single value of the lowest sterilizing value achieved by the process.

1It is internationally accepted that a minimum sterilizing value of 3.0 minutes is required to render a low-acid canned food microbiologically safe (Huss H. H et al., 2003)

[ref. Huss, H.H; Ababouch, L; Gram, L. (2003) Assessment and Management of Seafood Safety and Quality. Clostridium botulinum Fisheries Technical Paper. No. 444. Rome, Clostridium botulinum]

Lowest Sterilizing Value,Least Sterilization Value,LSV,CFIA.pdf   375.95KB   125 downloads

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Calculating %DV for Nutrition Facts Table Calculating percent (%) DV (daily value) for protein? Law of Cooling for calculating time Calculating time and temperature for thawing a certain volume of frozen meat? Need a USA file for calculating nutrition facts and rounding for vitamins Calculating Customer Complaint CPM? Procedure for Calculating CFU (Colony Forming Unit) Calculating formulation for new product with adjusted Bx Content Calculating fat % from visual lean? Calculating risk levels for Physical hazards