What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

How often do kombucha companies need to send samples to the lab?

Started by , Oct 05 2016 04:14 PM
2 Replies

I just start working at a Kombucha company. I was wondering how often do other companies sent out samples to the lab for micros. I know Kombucha is at low risk for micro issues because of low pH, but should be tested at a frequency.

Thanks

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
What are companies responsible that uses contract manufacturer? Is there a database of IFS certified companies? Sales samples labelling Wearing hairnet when working with exposed samples? How many samples need to be taken for minimum weight records?
[Ad]

Hi Shanda

if your facility has a HACCP plan, this should be specified in it- based on local regulation, risk level, and customers requirements.

If no HACCP, low risk product and GHP in place, see local regulations. Contact the authority in charge of FS, or the industry association.

If un-regulated/ no info,  you would still need to monitor Coliforms/ E.Coli and Salmonella in finished products. Number of samples will obviosuly depend on batch size..... how much is the daly (weekly) output?  

I just start working at a Kombucha company. I was wondering how often do other companies sent out samples to the lab for micros. I know Kombucha is at low risk for micro issues because of low pH, but should be tested at a frequency.

Thanks

Hi shanda,

From a statistical POV, the frequency depends on what you wish to measure/detect/required accuracy/etc. But this frequency (and sample size) may be impossible from a logistical/financial POV so a compromise will be necessary.

There may also be a contractual obligation, (sometimes even inc. the frequency, eg one "sample" per shipped lot/code)

Similar Discussion Topics
What are companies responsible that uses contract manufacturer? Is there a database of IFS certified companies? Sales samples labelling Wearing hairnet when working with exposed samples? How many samples need to be taken for minimum weight records? Validation samples sent for Allergen tests BRCGS Clause 5.6.7 Test Methods and Samples - Physical or Electronic BRCGS Ver 9 4.5.1 - Risk Assessment for Frequency of Analysis of Water Samples Missing Links in developing a food safety culture in the food companies Missing Links in Developing a Food Safety Culture in Food Companies