What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Records vs Documents

Started by , Feb 24 2017 11:05 AM
4 Replies

Hi guys,

Recently, I attended a seminar on Document Management System... And when the presenter differentiate the two terms, I was quite confused.

She said that: documents are "live" flies currently being used by the organization. Once documents were not being used already by the organization, then it would already be considered as "RECORDS". (i'm not talking here about forms, kindly exclude it)

So, if a procedure/work instructions were replaced by a current version. Then the obsolete revision can be classified as "RECORDS"?

Is the concept right?? 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
SQF 2.6.1.2 Product changeover and label reconciliation records External Cleaning Contractor Procedures and Records Compressed air nonconformance for no records How many samples need to be taken for minimum weight records? Chemical Concentration verification and records
[Ad]

Hi guys,

Recently, I attended a seminar on Document Management System... And when the presenter differentiate the two terms, I was quite confused.

She said that: documents are "live" flies currently being used by the organization. Once documents were not being used already by the organization, then it would already be considered as "RECORDS". (i'm not talking here about forms, kindly exclude it)

So, if a procedure/work instructions were replaced by a current version. Then the obsolete revision can be classified as "RECORDS"?

Is the concept right?? 

Hi LLR,

Sounds like some confusion somewhere.

Assuming ISO is the reference, here is the definition of "Record"

Record Definition

Record: Evidence about a past event.

A record is generated in the “do” phase of PDCA. Records consist of any data you collect during the operation of your business QMS. Records are facts and should not change. If new facts arise that contradict the old facts (an error), then you should strike through the old fact and record the new fact.

https://www.bizmanua...rd-control.html

1 Thank

Hi Charles,

That's what I'm talking about. There's really something wrong with her definition. 

The ISO definition of records really contradicts her concept that the obsolete version of documents will be turned into records. 

For example, procedures, once replaced by a current version will remain a document but it will be turned into an obsolete version. It cannot be considered a record because it does not consist of any data you collect during the operation of your business QMS. Procedure consists of any information you use to run your company, so by definition it is still a DOCUMENT.

:thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:

Previous revisions are archived documents.  They are not records since they don't record any time-based activities.

I have a feeling she may have grabbed her definition from another sector, such as the financial sector...definitely not in line with anything in the food production world that I've heard of, or even any realm of production, for that matter.

Similar Discussion Topics
SQF 2.6.1.2 Product changeover and label reconciliation records External Cleaning Contractor Procedures and Records Compressed air nonconformance for no records How many samples need to be taken for minimum weight records? Chemical Concentration verification and records Production and food safety records for a new facility Corrective and Preventive Action for lack of records caused by Absence of a Quality Manager Food safety records for frozen production according to BRCGS? Master Batch Records Templates BRCGS Information on FSMA Final Rule on Requirements for Additional Traceability Records for Certain Foods