What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Pathogen control in dehydrated flax seed crackers

Started by , Apr 07 2017 11:47 PM
1 Reply

Hello,

We are making a dehydrated flax seed cracker.  It consists of flax seed, water and spices.  My water activity is too low for microbial growth...BUT should I be concerned with spores remaining in the finished product?  If so, do I need an additional process control?

Thank you!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? Pathogen Testing in a meat processing plant Overseas pathogen testing - reportable in AU? Pathogen Severity - Serious Illness or Fatality? Combining Swaps in Environmental Pathogen Monitoring Plan
[Ad]

Hello,

We are making a dehydrated flax seed cracker.  It consists of flax seed, water and spices.  My water activity is too low for microbial growth...BUT should I be concerned with spores remaining in the finished product?  If so, do I need an additional process control?

Thank you!

Hi sruggero,

I assume finished product is RTE, ie consumed without further microbiocidal treatment.

The microbial hazard in finished product could be due to vegetative species or spores depending on the inputs/process.  The potential microbial hazard (if any) is presumably derived from the presence / level of pathogens (if any) surviving in the finished product. 

You need to do a hazard analysis / risk assessment for the process.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? Pathogen Testing in a meat processing plant Overseas pathogen testing - reportable in AU? Pathogen Severity - Serious Illness or Fatality? Combining Swaps in Environmental Pathogen Monitoring Plan In-house Pathogen Testing Pathogen limits per gram and per 10 grams Pathogen testing paperwork Any tips on how to create a pathogen procedure? Questioning the reliability of all negative pathogen test results