• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 21 February 2024 - 05:17 AM

Hi ,
I am working in a meat processing plant that produces sausages and hams.Are pathogens testing being done by persons in that industry for each batch of product being produced before being released for sale to the consumer?

I know pathogen testing is crucial to assure the safety of the product,but I am thinking it may be best to use the basic indicator and spoilage microorganisms for daily testing and more use pathogen testing as part of the environmental monitoring program and do pathogen testing of finished goods on a monthly basis and for raw materials testing.

I don't know if it's more crucial for meats versus other industries.

Scampi

Fellow

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 5,514 posts
  • 1515 thanks
Excellent

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 22 February 2024 - 02:03 PM

a) at minimum daily ATP of equipment post wash/pre rinse and a rewash if the # is unacceptable

b) what is your CCP?  what do you do when it's not met?  are you trending your issues?

c) pathogen testing SHOULD not be required /batch  leave to enviro testing

d) is there some reason you think you NEED to test/batch?

Please stop referring to me as Sir/sirs

Afiyfa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 23 February 2024 - 07:40 PM

Right now I met them doing pathogen testing for several finished goods but I do want to review their entire microbiological testing program.They don't do environmental monitoring per testing of the plant for microbes but use ATP to test the drains etc.I think the ATP testing needs to be used for confirmation of sanitation per cleaning etc so I stopped the ATP swabbing of the drains etc.

Afiyfa

Grade - AIFSQN

• IFSQN Associate
  • 27 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Trinidad and Tobago
    Trinidad and Tobago

Posted 23 February 2024 - 07:43 PM

My CCP are the cooking temperature and time for the various sausages and hams.Thus far I haven't seen them non conform but if they do,the product has to be cooked longer etc.My other CCP is the metal detector at the packaging end.My freezers and chillers aren't CCP but I will admit they are non conforming.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users