What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Truck Scale Inspection

Started by , Jul 14 2017 05:27 PM
4 Replies

Hello All,

We receive organic and conventional corn and wheat and weigh the trucks that deliver the product on a truck scale. It is a brand new scale (1 month old), it only sees about 30 trucks per day. At the moment, we have a scale technician coming out quarterly to run accuracy checks and calibrations on it (dates back to the older scale that was just replaced as well). It has never been out of calibration. I'm curious about some of the insight that you guys may have on inspection frequency in this area. 

Also, I've been reading some documents from the NIST, specifically handbook 44 and 155. I cannot find any laws concerning frequency of scale inspections. I understand that this may also be a state mandated issue, so I checked into Ohio codes and also the Department of Commerce website. I can't find any laws or codes concerning testing frequencies. There has to be something, right?  Can someone help me with this please? I just want some sort of code to refer to when writing my scale calibration procedure for my SQF plan. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Freezer Truck Refrigerant Unit Calibration Protocols for truck deliveries of product Environmental Pathogens in a Bulk Truck Standards for truck drivers entering the facility Temperature of the interior of the truck at receiving
[Ad]
I, like you have nothing on mandated calibration for truck scales. We do however have two SQF clients that calibrate every 500 weighs with one company handling 53 foot trailer loads of potatoes and the other tanker loads of various types of flour.

Hope that helps.
1 Thank

Hi dwells,

Assuming there is no Statutory requirement, you might consider yr OP from an alternative  POV.

What do you (retrospectively) plan to do if yr Calibration Interval of X Months  eventually finds that the scale is out of calibration  ?

(This is an "answer" commonly posed for metal detector "Calibrations")

1 Like

What level SQF Certification are you looking at? There would be no safety issues for level 2. Level 3...maybe test weight? Point being the usage of your scale is going to be the important part. As Charles said, what do you do if its out of calibration for x months. You could have a truck get weighed on a state certified CAT scale or something similar once a week or month in between those service intervals. You could also take something of known weight and put it on the scales. All of those could help you...but I would look in to whether or not you actually need to have the scale calibration procedure in your SQF program. Maybe its just an internal procedure.

We handle similar products and Montana requires that our scales be certified every year. We do daily internal scale checks with 500# of NIST weights so that if an issue comes up with the scale we know right away and call our scale certifying company to come fix it. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Freezer Truck Refrigerant Unit Calibration Protocols for truck deliveries of product Environmental Pathogens in a Bulk Truck Standards for truck drivers entering the facility Temperature of the interior of the truck at receiving Mock Crisis - Truck breaks down on highway Is there any problem with having a microwave in the shipping area for truck drivers? Lease truck cleaning requirement 5.10.4 Lunch truck selling food to factory employees during Covid-19 What to include in a truck breakdown procedure when we outsource distribution?