What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Heat source for syrup mixing room

Started by , Nov 07 2017 04:40 PM
4 Replies

Hi,

Have a quick question.

We are looking at adding a heat source to warm up our syrup room slightly during the winter months.  Currently we only have a cooling source that is HEPA filtered.

What type of heat source would be acceptable under SQF Module 11?

Thank you.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Chemical Parameters of Ready To Heat Curries and Fried Rice Heat Treating Spices - Need validation data Direct vs. Indirect Heat for Drying Systems Low temperature heat seal Heat Induction Liner Seal Integrity Verification
[Ad]

It is hard to give advice without more detail.  If your syrup is in drums then there are drum warmers, my guess is that it is a bit more complex based on your cooling method, however we need more details to help. 

My apologies for not providing enough detail.

We are a carbonated soft drink manufacture.  

We produce syrup ( treated water, flavorings, sweetener and acidulants, preservatives and other ingredients).  This syrup is blended in our mixing room in tanks with agitation.  This syrup is highly concentrated and then is blended with treated water and injected with carbon dioxide and chilled on a blending station which is in a separate room.

The mixing room is a separate room and currently does not contain a heat source, it does have a cooling source.  We are located in the Northeastern U.S.  

I could not find any SQF requirements regarding a heat source for a food mixing room.

Thanks.

Whats the purpose of the heating?  To help keep the syrup fluid or for worker comfort?

You will not find any specifics about heat sources in SQF.

On the other hand what you will note are things like fume-off, example: forklift trucks that use propane and have an exhaust issue or an oil based heater that fumes - the auditor could write that up as a potential (or as a) contaminate.

So your fuel for heating could be natural gas, electric, steam generated etc.

What I have seen in some of our client operations that are in same/similar food section is natural gas and electric as the source for the heating system and electric combined with a large solar array to off-set the greater expense for their area.

Hope that helps.

Similar Discussion Topics
Chemical Parameters of Ready To Heat Curries and Fried Rice Heat Treating Spices - Need validation data Direct vs. Indirect Heat for Drying Systems Low temperature heat seal Heat Induction Liner Seal Integrity Verification Heat treatment for carbonated beverages How to control heat resistant gloves provided to employees? Are any heat resistant moulds a known risk for pea flour? Mushrooms - Sawdust - Heat Treatment Appropriate attire during a heat wave?