What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Adding vinegar to tanks during fermentation

Started by , Nov 21 2017 08:08 PM
1 Reply

I have recently read a letter from the Pickle Packers to the FDA from 2011 saying vinegar should be allowed to be added to tanks during fermentation of pickles and vegetables.  I can't find a response to this from the FDA that says it is ok or if it is considered an acidified product.  We are looking into doing some new products for a customer and I was wondering if this is allowed or considered acidification?  We are currently a fermenting only facility.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Adding new building to BRCGS Issue 6 Certification Adding Pet Friendly Foods to Scope Do rack pins need adding to monthly housekeeping audits? Concerns of adding a plastic hang hook on a tea and sugar filter bag What to consider when adding a new uniform vendor?
[Ad]

That's tough, I would not consider it acidified if your pH is naturally low due to the fermentation of your product. However if you need the vinegar to get under 4.6 then the food isn't safe without it and it would be considered acidified.

As with all acidified/LACF inquiries, it is best to involve a competent process authority to help you craft an argument either way. I recommend covance who are very helpful and willing to consult over the phone.

Similar Discussion Topics
Adding new building to BRCGS Issue 6 Certification Adding Pet Friendly Foods to Scope Do rack pins need adding to monthly housekeeping audits? Concerns of adding a plastic hang hook on a tea and sugar filter bag What to consider when adding a new uniform vendor? Adding Separate Warehouse for Finished Goods Adding New Warehouse to FDA Account Adding Ingredients Not Written in the Packaging HACCP Study - dry blending RTE manufacturer adding dry egg powder an sesame seeds to our ingredients Adding Vitamin D & A on milk processing and side-effects on human