What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Introducing myself - tech startup joining the forum

Started by , Dec 08 2017 09:57 AM
1 Reply

Hi all,

I stumbled across this forum in my search for opinions/expert insights on total viable count (TPC) measurements and the difference between TPC and the total bacteria count present in a given sample. It very quickly appeared to me that this forum is an invaluable source of information on food safety topics, so I thought I would join.

In brief, my name is Gustav and I work in a startup that is about to launch a tabletop real-time bacteria sensor, which can measure the total bacteria count in a given sample (swap or water) within 5 minutes. The measurement result we provide is bacteria/ml, which differs quite significantly from CFU/ml, as we have no incubation or other sample pretreatment (we use the technology impedance flow cytometry). I would say the most comparable metric to our data output is DNA staining, e.g. acridine orange direct count (AODC), but I am not an expert on AODC, so I do not know if there is any specificity to the method. 

What I hope to learn more about and discuss with you is how bacteria/ml is a relevant metric in food safety measurements, and how food safety and operations can be improved through faster bacteria measurements. Of course bacteria/ml is entirely non-regulated as everything is bound up on CFU, but that is not a significant concern to us at this stage. I am a physicist by education, so I apologize if some of the microbiology lingo is lost on me. Also, I will try my very best not to advertise my company and our product, but please let me know if I step out of line. The reason why I am here is not to sell units, but it is to discuss the technical aspect of measuring bacteria/ml instead of (or as a supplement to) TPC, and how faster measurements could improve food safety in general.

Best regards

Gustav

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Introducing Myself Introducing Mojtaba Oskuii Introducing myself Introducing myself Introducing sliced mushrooms into a high care environment
[Ad]

Hi Gustav,

:welcome:

Sounds an interesting project, welcome to the IFSQN forums.

Kind regards,

Tony

Similar Discussion Topics
Introducing Myself Introducing Mojtaba Oskuii Introducing myself Introducing myself Introducing sliced mushrooms into a high care environment Introducing myself Introducing myself Introducing myself Alba Gonzalez from Bay Area USA Introducing myself Introducing our newest solution: Safefood 360° Risk