What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Guideline on shelf-life of US vacuum-packed chilled beef

Started by , Dec 13 2017 09:36 AM
3 Replies

Hello Everyone!

Just wondering if there's any USDA guideline (or industry guideline) on the shelf-life of vacuum-packed chilled beef products, as only "pack on date" is available on many of them.

Thank you very much!

Annette

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Facility specification of cold room as per guideline of EU requirement Listeria mitigation guideline Interpretation guideline for BRCGS issue 9 ISO 22000 interpretation guideline Seeking criteria or guideline in hygiene zoning for fish cracker production using surimi paste?
[Ad]

In the UK there has been a lot of chat about this over the years but there is also a very thorough guideline on packing MAP and vacuum packed foods.  The first thing you need to think of is the risk of C. botulinum.  If anything it errs to the side of being a bit over cautious in most peoples opinion that I'm aware of (we're getting loads of queries about this in cheese even though there is a massive history of safe use in cheese with respect to C. botulinum mostly due to the fact there is competing microflora in cheese and some acidity.  It's meats where the outbreak history is.)  In any case it gives you advice on suitable hurdle factors and if they are absent it's worth considering a challenge test (otherwise the recommended shelf life is 10 days).

That said, I would also recommend you do not ignore Listeria monocytogenes.  It's perfectly happy growing in anaerobic conditions and has a wider growth range. 

Just to back up my thoughts on the hazards in meat, did you know "botulism" is derived from the word "botulus" which means sausage in Latin so really it's "sausage disease".  :eek_yello:

1 Thank

Thank you very much GMO!

In my case, I'm getting USDA chilled beef products from my supplier that are months old from the packing date.  :crybaby:

Thank you very much GMO!

In my case, I'm getting USDA chilled beef products from my supplier that are months old from the packing date.  :crybaby:

:w00t:

Similar Discussion Topics
Facility specification of cold room as per guideline of EU requirement Listeria mitigation guideline Interpretation guideline for BRCGS issue 9 ISO 22000 interpretation guideline Seeking criteria or guideline in hygiene zoning for fish cracker production using surimi paste? Missing Section 6 BRCGS Covid-19 Guideline Is there any guideline that old raw material documents (e.g. incoming material checklist, material release checklist) can be disposed of? Does anyone know if ISO 17025:2017 has a guideline to implement? Looking for a guideline or template for a health and safety file Anyone know the whereabouts of SQFI Guideline on SQF Practitioners?