What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Hazards in Active and Inactive Yeast (Wet and Dry) - Please help!

Started by , Feb 12 2018 01:58 PM
2 Replies

Hi.  I work in a commercial bakery and I'm new to food safety and I'm trying to put together food safety plan papers, but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out what the Biological, Chemical and Physical Hazards of Active Yeast and Inactive Yeast (Wet and Dry) are.  All of my searches seem to result in yeast and mold being an issue/hazard in other ingredients.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Seafood Hazards Master Guide USDA and Duck Hazards Can Someone Check My HACCP Hazards? Control the biological hazards documentation Biological Hazards Question
[Ad]

I'm not in a bakery, so I may not know some obvious risk that others in your industry do, but I would start with the Draft Guidance from the FDA.

https://www.fda.gov/...A/UCM517402.pdf

On page 23, it lists high activity dried yeast used as a stabilizer or thickener as having a salmonella risk.  It also lists the risk of allergen cross contamination or improper labeling.

I also googled 'hazards associated with yeast' and found a pretty good hazard analysis posted.  Check that out.

1 Like1 Thank

This is all I got of the RDHI from CFIA

Associated Hazards for Product Ingredient Type of Hazard Hazard YEAST - DRY Biological Presence of pathogenic bacteria (e.g., Salmonella spp.)
1 Like1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Seafood Hazards Master Guide USDA and Duck Hazards Can Someone Check My HACCP Hazards? Control the biological hazards documentation Biological Hazards Question Are all biological hazards considered castatrophic in terms of severity? Considering raw material micro hazards in hazard analysis Sugar and salt as having no hazards in my Hazard Analysis FDA rules specifying the limit of glass, metal and other physical hazards in foods Physical hazards control measures