What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Are pallets acceptable to fulfill the 6 inch requirement?

Started by , Feb 15 2018 07:20 PM
9 Replies

Hello all, I am currently working towards SQF (level 2) certification and was curious about some storage requirements I have found in the code. I have noticed there is a requirement for items to be six inches off the ground to prevent contamination & allow adequate air circulation in cold storage and six inches off the ground for proper cleaning in dry storage. Are pallets not acceptable to fulfill the 6 inch requirement or would I need to get an actual racking system to place pallets on? This forum has been a great help so far and I appreciate any help in advance. Thanks  

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? Liner Bag Requirement for Packaging Plastic Food Packages Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment What are acceptable limits for compressed air testing for raw frozen beef steaks? Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings
[Ad]

In my experience, pallets have always been sufficient to keep items off the floor and satisfy auditors.

Pallets are always fine. The only areas where they tend not to be is when they become obviously permanent (e.g. holding up installed equipment), because the areas underneath are not cleanable unless they can be moved.

Pallets work as long as you have a cleaning program that specifies how often they are moved and cleaned around if you are using for storage (i.e. weekly, monthly)

Where does it say 6 inches in SQF 8.0?

Where does it say 6 inches in SQF 8.0?

The 6 inches is mentioned in section 11.6.2 as 

"The product on these racks or shelves should be at least 30 cm (twelve inches) from walls and 150 mm (6 inches) off the floor to prevent contamination and allow for adequate air circulation around the product (refer to 11.2.3)."

Thank you for everyones input!

and in section 11.6.3 as

" Stands and the lower shelves of stands should be at least 150 mm (6 inches), or as required by applicable regulation above floor level to facilitate proper cleaning."

Requirement is items should not be on the floor. Wooden pallets which are generally 6 inches high always fulfill this requirement. 

Thanks,

Kanwaljit Sokhi

QA Manager

R.J.T Blueberry Park Inc.

Aldergrove BC Canada

Sorry, I was thinking 36 and wrote 6, old school.  Thank you for the response however.

hello everyone!

yes pallets may satisfy the requirements but ensure also the cleanliness, and wooden pallets are not allowed. Godbless everyone

Wooden Pallets are allowed in Storage areas! 

Not in High Risk processing rooms 

Similar Discussion Topics
What is the requirement for damaged ingredient bags in dry storage area? Liner Bag Requirement for Packaging Plastic Food Packages Acceptable tolerance of calibration measurement equipment What are acceptable limits for compressed air testing for raw frozen beef steaks? Acceptable Yeast and Mold limits for Fruit Fillings Requirement of Traded Goods-BRCGS Issue 9 Are there any hygienic design requirement for the dosing and control of MAP gases Toilet Requirement per number of employees Acceptable level of Bacillus bacteria in the environment EMP Facility specification of cold room as per guideline of EU requirement