What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Critical Limits for Dry Oats

Started by , Feb 15 2018 07:28 PM
1 Reply

Hello,

In performing the Process Preventive Controls, I am stumped on the Critical Limit step. What is the critical limit for potential biological pathogens on a dry oat processing line?  There are existing pathogens known in the product, but it is expected that the consumer will cook the oats prior to consuming.  Should there be a control other than CoA from the supplier?  What is an acceptable Critical Limit?

Thanks,

Suzie

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Grading Minor Major Critical Questions used to determine the critical control point Critical limits in seafood HARA CCP and critical limites Establishing Critical Limits CCP for Potstickers
[Ad]
but it is expected that the consumer will cook the oats prior to consuming

Unless you sell these oats with a big giant warning label like you would on dry chicken, I would not sell oats with known pathogens. If flour can't have them, why would Oats? I would consider them RTE just like flour.

They should be pathogen free (I would target E. coli and Salmonella for a product like that) or otherwise go through a microbial lethality treatment.

Examples of raw oat usage at the consumer level

Overnight oats

Oatmeal in smoothies

No bake oatmeal cookies

Similar Discussion Topics
Grading Minor Major Critical Questions used to determine the critical control point Critical limits in seafood HARA CCP and critical limites Establishing Critical Limits CCP for Potstickers SQF NCR - Critical Limit Not Determined Determine of critical limits Foreign Material -> SS 5.0 mm in sachet products? How do you collect daily critical production data to ensure food safety and quality? Finished product critical parameters for dry aging of beef Can critical limits be defined as a range value?