• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 December 2023 - 12:49 PM

Hello,

Working  to SQF level 2 certification module 9. We are a seafood wholesaler. I am establishing limits in product descriptions, and it's reasonable that people would consume our yellowfin tuna raw. I have histamine and mercury levels established, but is there anything additional I should be testing and establishing limits of? There's a lot on the FDA side, and it's unreasonable to test every batch for clostridium, botulinum,  etc. when raw consumption isn't the intended product use. 

Any help would be appreciated!  

jfrey123

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 647 posts
  • 183 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 19 December 2023 - 04:56 PM

You can't test your way into food safety.  If you want to offer your tuna as edible raw, I'd assume (with no seafood experience) that you'd need to have a flash freeze type kill step established as a CCP or a temp control CCP if you're getting the fish from a vessel that does the freezing themselves.  Your process would need to be validated to prove it controls the pathogens and parasites that wild tuna has contracted.  Different risks apparently for farm raised, but it's up to you to establish a process that kills the pathogens of concern.

Or slap warnings on the labels that this fish isn't intended to be consumed raw, "Must cook to XXXF for food safety".

souswes

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 13 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 19 December 2023 - 05:36 PM

You can't test your way into food safety.  If you want to offer your tuna as edible raw, I'd assume (with no seafood experience) that you'd need to have a flash freeze type kill step established as a CCP or a temp control CCP if you're getting the fish from a vessel that does the freezing themselves.  Your process would need to be validated to prove it controls the pathogens and parasites that wild tuna has contracted.  Different risks apparently for farm raised, but it's up to you to establish a process that kills the pathogens of concern.

Or slap warnings on the labels that this fish isn't intended to be consumed raw, "Must cook to XXXF for food safety".

We don't want to offer the product raw. We have warnings on every invoice that all product is intended to be cooked. 

Yellowfin tuna and farm raised salmon fed with pelletized feed are exempt parasite destruction, so it's reasonable that people may consume the product raw. Just trying to do my due diligence here in providing safe food and wondering what extra pathogens should be of note in my documentation. 

kfromNE

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 1,073 posts
  • 294 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States
  • Interests:Bicycling, reading, nutrition, trivia

Posted 19 December 2023 - 06:30 PM

I would look at the FDA seafood guidance document if you haven't yet. The document calls out specific species and risks. 

Thanked by 1 Member:

AltonBrownFanClub

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 130 posts
  • 44 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:I collect vintage clothing

Posted 19 December 2023 - 08:58 PM

Here is a link to FDA's Fish & Fishery Products Hazards & Controls Guidance.

It is free to download and very helpful.

https://www.fda.gov/...ds-and-controls

Table 3-2 shows potential vertebrate species-related hazards

"Tuna, aquacultured" has the following potential hazards:

• Parasite Hazards
  • Scombrotoxin (Histamine) Hazards
  • Environmental Chemical Hazards
  • Aquaculture Drug Hazards

Thanked by 1 Member:

Share this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users