What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Garlic in Oil - Thermal Processing Requirement

Started by , Feb 26 2018 06:21 PM
1 Reply

The garlic pieces in oil mixture, to ensure Clostridium bot. is prevented, the water activity will be controlled as <0.85. It is understood that garlic must be dry before packing in the oil, if it is re-hydrated the garlic is not safe procedure and vulnerable to Clostridium bot. However, if the garlic is re-hydrated in the brine with >20% of salt water (to keep water activity as low as <0.85 in the water), would it be considered safe to preserve the garlic in oil? This garlic in oil has only water activity control point of <0.85. 

Thank you in advance for your comment!

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Fresh Garlic Microbiology How is garlic typically treated (in terms of a kill step) when it's in a powder form? Root cause of sediments in garlic oil obtained by steam distillation Hazard Analysis for receiving, storing and shipping of imported, pre-packaged, peeled garlic Raw materials evaluation roasted garlic puree
[Ad]

Involve a process authority on this one to work on your justification. I would run the procedure past an expert who is willing to put it in writing for you. It sounds possible but I wouldn't make that decision on my own.

I'd recommend a university extension process authority or someone at Covance.

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Fresh Garlic Microbiology How is garlic typically treated (in terms of a kill step) when it's in a powder form? Root cause of sediments in garlic oil obtained by steam distillation Hazard Analysis for receiving, storing and shipping of imported, pre-packaged, peeled garlic Raw materials evaluation roasted garlic puree Food safety parameters of Lebanese style garlic sauce FSP for Fresh Filled Pasta - Raviolli with chicken and garlic How to calculate allicin content in dry Garlic? How to prevent greening of garlic paste?