What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Does Anyone Have Experience Using a Used Plastic Pallet?

Started by , Jul 16 2018 12:25 PM
11 Replies

Hay colleagues all Can you give me input, about used plastic pallet? I was interested in trying a used plastic pallet, for my business in logistics. Ask for suggestions and views. :helpplease:

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Do we really need a map of glass and brittle plastic items? Are LED high bay lights suitable for use in plastic manufacturing facilities, and what factors should be considered in a risk assessment? Ensuring Reliability of PCR Plastic Film for Food Packaging Does anyone have experience with Corbion Glaze? Does anyone have experience with Monday.com as a Quality Management System and Supplier Management System?
[Ad]

Hello,

We are using used plastic pallets in our storage and dry warehouse. It is little less expensive than purchasing a new one.

regards,

redfox

Hi Lana Juwa,

We use wood Pallets now but we are planning to use Plastic Pallets in the near future. I agree with redfox that using used plastic pallets is less expensive. In addition, if you are to use used pallets, it must be checked from time to time. If you found damaged or contaminated pallets, you must have to discard using it.

regards,

Donie

Sadly my experience (-18degC) was opposite of redfox,

Plastic pallets were expensive and easily damaged.

Maybe it depends on the quality of plastic.

Hello Charles,

Wood here in PH is quite expensive. Besides we are using carton to pack our product and the risk of catching wood splinters is high. Since we are only refrigerated storage we only have -2 C to 2 C temperature range.

regards,

redfox

Maybe it depends on the nature of the plastic.

Some types of pallets are made of PP. Their glass transition temperature is about -10degC. It means PP at lower temperature than -10degC becomes more brittle. It badly suffers from wide range of temperature changes in long shipment. You have to select the right plastic materials for shipping from tropical to freezing zones.

It's similar to changing your car tyres in winter.

Maybe wood material is preferred because of that beside the price.

Sadly my experience (-18degC) was opposite of redfox,

Plastic pallets were expensive and easily damaged.

Maybe it depends on the quality of plastic.

1 Thank

we use plastic pallets in process, but ship on wooden ones (but zero risk of contamination---glass jars) 

I love having the plastic ones for in process, easy to clean, they stack well and are light

I think they would/should work well for anything that is not frozen; I don't think you'll have much luck with plastic at -18C and if you find one that can withstand that temp it would probably be cost prohibitive

Just make sure those used pallets are properly cleaned and sanitized before offering them out for use in food please

We have been using plastic pallets for years now. I think it depends on the plastic pallets you have access to, and what you are planning to do with them exactly. We clean and inspect our plastic pallets daily, because we use them in a production environment to keep wood from touching our surfaces. The pallets we have been using have worked very good for their intended purpose. Just make sure to inspect, clean and document daily use of the pallets.  

Nobody seems to consider cost too much ?? Lucky QA !

PS - I just noticed the OP stated "used" plastic pallet. That would potentially be a different kettle of plastic.

PS, new. Ii would of meant! Changing to Stainless Steel, or stainizable material would be best options.

I agree with Charles, metal pallet is better than wooden and plastic. Longer life and easy to repair and clean at any time. I think one plastic pallet cost $ 100 (Made in China) and will not survive one year, besides will impact the environment as waste.

mile

I have a client that uses rubber pallets for freezer storage. Upfront they are expensive, but do not wear down as fast as plastic.  Interestingly enough the interior of the rubber pallet is wood.  They replaced all their plastic and wood pallets for internal use. They ship on wood pallets. The rubber coating is thick and thus they are rather heavy, but as I said they wear great and they still have most of the original batch of rubber pallets after five years.

Similar Discussion Topics
Do we really need a map of glass and brittle plastic items? Are LED high bay lights suitable for use in plastic manufacturing facilities, and what factors should be considered in a risk assessment? Ensuring Reliability of PCR Plastic Film for Food Packaging Does anyone have experience with Corbion Glaze? Does anyone have experience with Monday.com as a Quality Management System and Supplier Management System? Pallet treatment standards for a food facility Does anyone have experience in transitioning from export stamps to self-adhesive labels? Coating inside the carton for plastic bottle Trader Joe’s dumplings recall due to possible contamination with hard plastic from a permanent marker Cleaning methods and chemicals for plastic IBCs?