What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Sanitizer....contaminated?

Started by , Jul 20 2018 12:34 AM
3 Replies
I would like your help with a situation. We were having some issue with the food contact surface swabs post sanitation, since we were getting high count (APC).

After looking for the cause, we tested the sanitizer itself and turns out it was contaminated (APC >1000 CFU/ml) at the point of use. We were using Quats from a local manufacturer. 

I've seen some recalls of contaminated sanitizers/desinfectants used for hospitals over the past few years. But not a lot of info for the sanitizer used in the food industry (or at least I haven't found it yet). 

Have anyone gone through a situation like this? Are quats more suceptible than other sanitizers (for example peracetic acid)?

We already change the product. But I'm curious about it... 

I would apreciated your thoughs
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Test kit to verify that all sanitizer residues are completely removed Entryway Sanitizer for Dry Environments? Chlorine concentration as food contact sanitizer Looking for a chemical solution preferably with sanitizer for our dishwashing unit Polycarbonate Mold Washing with Sanitizer
[Ad]

Bring that quats are very similar to "soap" in the chemistry, one can assume that this sort of contamination is not that far fetched. I would think that perhaps it became contaminated at your location from people putting unclean hands/tools into the container repeatedly

The chemicals are obviously not aseptic once opened.

alcohols have poor activity against bacterial spores (one ingredient in a quat)

So perhaps you need to surprise the sanitation crew one night to figure out the source of the contamination; Did the supplier test anyother containers from the same lot?

Hi Scampi, 

I don't think so, only a couple of test were performed. But during the following investigation, we'll ask to test other containers from the same lot.

Thanks, 

Bring that quats are very similar to "soap" in the chemistry, one can assume that this sort of contamination is not that far fetched. I would think that perhaps it became contaminated at your location from people putting unclean hands/tools into the container repeatedly

The chemicals are obviously not aseptic once opened.

alcohols have poor activity against bacterial spores (one ingredient in a quat)

So perhaps you need to surprise the sanitation crew one night to figure out the source of the contamination; Did the supplier test anyother containers from the same lot?

Is this being dispensed by a machine as well? Have you check as well the dispenser?

Similar Discussion Topics
Test kit to verify that all sanitizer residues are completely removed Entryway Sanitizer for Dry Environments? Chlorine concentration as food contact sanitizer Looking for a chemical solution preferably with sanitizer for our dishwashing unit Polycarbonate Mold Washing with Sanitizer SQF Plant - Using Boiling Water and Wipe to Clean the equipment without Detergent and Sanitizer Fresh herbs micro testing- washed with PAA sanitizer Can I allow tissue use with company provided sanitizer to be used afterwards? Oxine Sanitizer for cleaning in beverages Organic Sanitizer Recommendations