What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

2.1.2.5 SQF Practitioners must be confident in SPC

Started by , Aug 07 2018 12:53 PM
7 Replies

In our recent audit, the auditor said I require Statistical Process Control training.  Does anyone have any recommendations for any sort of SPC training courses?  I think I would prefer an online course if possible, but if I have to travel that is fine.  I have seen an abundance of SPC training courses online, but the problem with that is I'm not sure I'm getting trained in the right areas since there seems to be so many different ones.

If anyone has taken any that has been accepted by an SQF auditor let me know, any advice is appreciated.

Thank you

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Anyone know the whereabouts of SQFI Guideline on SQF Practitioners? How to determine sample size to be confident of result? Yum! Brands confident of its Chinese suppliers
[Ad]

Um, that is not at all what 2.1.2.5 says, unless your talking about the QUALITY code, in which case can you clarify?

If it's for manufacturing, tell your auditor to tell you what the reference is 

2.1.2.5 The SQF practitioner shall:
i. Be employed by the site as a company employee on a full-time basis;
ii. Hold a position of responsibility in relation to the management of the site's SQF System;
iii. Have completed a HACCP training course;
iv. Be competent to implement and maintain HACCP based food safety plans; and
v. Have an understanding of the SQF Food Safety Code for Manufacturing and the requirements to
implement and maintain an SQF System relevant to the site's scope of certification.

It is in the Quality code.  The code says:  Be competent in statistical process control (SPC) and/or other quality tools to reduce process variation and drive root cause analysis of non-conformities.  It is the third bullet point in that code.  Our auditor requires me to have SPC training of some kind to fulfill the nonconformity.

This is an introduction to SPC recorded webinar on this site. There is no proof you took it (certificate or exam) but you can document the class title, the link and when you observed the class as your evidence. It's free. 

It is in the Quality code.  The code says:  Be competent in statistical process control (SPC) and/or other quality too...

Yes, the requirement is to "BE COMPETENT."

However, how did the Auditor write this up and were you pointed off for it?

If you are were written up for NOT being competent - that's a big thing.

But I see this as a potential challenge, it's real grey area for Auditor to make a statement that you would require training.

i agree with Glenn......the code should be followed and training is not indicative of competency (just look at the GMP infractions from "trained" employees on the floor)

You can figure out SPC without training....track and trace parameters that may impact quality, you CAN do that!

"SPC must be practised in 2 phases: The first phase is the initial establishment of the process, and the second phase is the regular production use of the process. In the second phase, a decision of the period to be examined must be made, depending upon the change in 5M&E conditions (Man, Machine, Material, Method, Movement, Environment) and wear rate of parts used in the manufacturing process (machine parts, jigs, and fixtures)."

If you've worked for a big company, chances are you've learned SPC....2 of my former employees used Six Sigma....and you're probably already applying it to what you do everyday anyway

It is possible the SQF auditors themselves aren't too sure what SQF requires yet also.

In the event you choose to do training, which would "help" you prove competent, Alchemy Systems has both SPC training and SQF Quality training. Again proving competence is the key and providing data/ graphs could be a possible solution too. 

Similar Discussion Topics
Anyone know the whereabouts of SQFI Guideline on SQF Practitioners? How to determine sample size to be confident of result? Yum! Brands confident of its Chinese suppliers