What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What qualifies as sufficient Forklift Training?

Started by , Sep 25 2018 05:28 PM
6 Replies

I just came back from a meeting with out maintenance supervisor and he is wondering about forklift training. What qualifies as sufficient training (a course, video, etc.)? What have you used that seems to work best?

(Our facility does not have any certifications, we are only audited by the FDA and the local health dept.) 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
HACCP Training for Flexible Packaging Industry Does anyone have video or any kind of slideshow they use for GMP training? ABC model to assess effectiveness of training and communication in a company Effective evaluation methods of food safety training PCQI Training in Portuguese
[Ad]

Powered Industrial Equipment Training comes with three major things that need to be covered:

Formal Instruction

Practical Application

Knowledge Testing

I have attached the OSHA Code and Powerpoint.  It will help build out what you are looking for.  Then you just need to create a standardized quiz and keep records of the results as well as who has been trained.

OSHA 29 CFR 1910.178.pdf   747.09KB   56 downloads

OSHA PIT (Primary Material).ppt   2.05MB   46 downloads

Cheers!

2 Likes2 Thanks

The only thing after what Brendan mentioned above is just repetition and getting used to driving and fork movement. But simply just completing the test after instructions and practical application is not enough. The driver must be constantly aware with the safety of others and him/herself. I recently just got forklift certified and it's like learning to ride a motorcycle. At first the person is wary. Then comfort sinks in and that's how getting hurt happens. 

2 Likes2 Thanks

Powered Industrial Equipment Training comes with three major things that need to be covered:

Formal Instruction

Practical Application

Knowledge Testing

I have attached the OSHA Code and Powerpoint.  It will help build out what you are looking for.  Then you just need to create a standardized quiz and keep records of the results as well as who has been trained.

OSHA 29 CFR 1910.178.pdf

OSHA PIT (Primary Material).ppt

Cheers!

Do you use the forklift manufacturer for the pre-use checklist or did you create your own? 

To do this job, you need to be at least 18 and have a high school diploma.
Without it, there aren't many jobs that you can apply to or forklift training courses that will take you. As I just mentioned, you also need the required safety training and certification to operate the forklift. Once you meet all these criteria, you can look for forklift driver positions. When I was looking into becoming a forklift operator, I did my training over at xxxxxxx I highly recommend their courses. I ended up with a lot of skills after them.

To do this job, you need to be at least 18  and have a high school diploma.
 Without it, there aren't many jobs that you can apply to or forklift training courses that will take you. As I just mentioned, you also need the required safety training and certification to operate the forklift. Once you meet all these criteria, you can look for forklift driver positions. When I was looking into becoming a forklift operator, I did my training over at https://anguslifttru...ning-leicester/. I highly recommend their courses. I ended up with a lot of skills after them.

In Australia all fork lift operators must have undergone a 2 day, third party training course that includes theory (eg. understanding of centre of gravity), safety (eg. checking it is working properly) and operational (performing a task). They then get a 'high risk licence' and can be employed as a forklift driver. The only legal way for someone without this license to operate a forklift is for them to be classified as a trainee driver, and to be supervised at all times. The licence needs to be renewed every 5 years (by paying a fee online). 

Similar Discussion Topics
HACCP Training for Flexible Packaging Industry Does anyone have video or any kind of slideshow they use for GMP training? ABC model to assess effectiveness of training and communication in a company Effective evaluation methods of food safety training PCQI Training in Portuguese Required Food Safety Training for Employees Under FSSC 22000 Who can give awareness training to staff on IFS Food? Annual Food Safety & Quality Training FSVP Training SQF Requirements - X-Ray Training