What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Supplier Approval Program - Raw Materials supplied by customer

Started by , Nov 06 2018 06:24 PM

Hi Xissa,

The point that FSQA made above is very interesting. Nevertheless, you still need to describe in your procedure how you handle this exception or particular case. In the procedure, things as documentation, specification and food safety requirements are to be included.

I would add, that it's important that the product reflects the customer's quality and food safety requirements. It may also not have a negative impact on the products for other customers or on your operation.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

7 Replies

Hi Everyone,

Our facility blends and packages tea. It is easy to understand which documents I need when we get raw materials from supplier and manufacture for many different customers, however; some customers of ours supply us with the raw materials as well as the packaging materials. We use the customer supplied raw materials to manufacture only for that specific customer who supplied the raw materials. So, my question is: How does this scenario fit into our supplier approval program? Do we treat the customer like any other supplier and ask them to supply those same documents? I would appreciate any insight.

Thank you.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Documentation needed to approve Green (unroasted) Coffee supplier Allergen checklist to supplier BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire? Passing through Food Safety Documents from our supplier to our customer Approved Supplier Program - Spot Purchasing
[Ad]

Yes, same criteria/requirement based on your documented Approved Supplier Program. 

1 Thank

They are supplying you with materials. They need to be an approved supplier with all the requisite requirements per your existing policies.

Marshall

1 Thank

Can't exceptions be made in this case as the product is only going back to the supplier/customer, based on the following discussion:

https://www.ifsqn.co...proval-process/

1 Like1 Thank

Hi Xissa,

The point that FSQA made above is very interesting. Nevertheless, you still need to describe in your procedure how you handle this exception or particular case. In the procedure, things as documentation, specification and food safety requirements are to be included.

I would add, that it's important that the product reflects the customer's quality and food safety requirements. It may also not have a negative impact on the products for other customers or on your operation.

Kind regards,

Gerard Heerkens

1 Thank

Good morning Xissa,

I have clients with similar business models.Consignment partners are set up as customers. The Supplier Verification Program should have verbiage which addresses consignment partner's suppliers, requiring documentation from the consignment partner such as; their supplier verification program, letter of guarantee which states they're liable for any process food safety contamination due to product supplied by their suppliers. This along with the process risk assessment  should be acceptable.

1 Thank

Thank you all for the responses! I am leaning towards what Gerard H. and FSQA has suggested. 

The only portion in this scenario where  I would consider the supplier approval is whether there is a risk to the facility when these items arrive

So perhaps all you need is a CoA that the teas have been sterilized or irradiated (they are plants after all) prior to receiving at your facility and free from allergens.

Xissa, starting sooner than you would like you'll be covered under the new SFCR........and as such I suggest you also follow the FSEP manual in which you will see this is also covered under:

(B) Transportation, Purchasing/Receiving/Shipping and Storage (see section 3.1.1.2)
1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Documentation needed to approve Green (unroasted) Coffee supplier Allergen checklist to supplier BRCGS 3.7.2 - Does a supplier have to have a HARA/HACCP to be an approved supplier through a questionnaire? Passing through Food Safety Documents from our supplier to our customer Approved Supplier Program - Spot Purchasing What supplier documentation is required when using Aluminium Foil as Primary Packaging? Supplier not providing TDS Costco Food Safety Supplier Requirements Emergency Supplier Approvals Supplier Questionaire