What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Mould limits in Bread

Started by , Dec 13 2018 08:59 AM
2 Replies

Hi everyone,

Long time user of the forum first time poster.

I am looking to find out what the standard microbiological limits of mould are for bread products?

I have all the data already for pathogens in relation to levels of safety but cannot find any information on moulds. I have trawled through all the topics.

Thanks 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
How to state Air / Yeast & Mould count ? Yeast and Mould Monitoring Control measures for preventing mould in jam Yeast and Mould Testing and Limit Requirements Is Yeast and Mould good enough for Ambient Air Testing?
[Ad]

As far as I am aware here are no legal standards for this as it's a quality not food safety issue:

These are the last figures I had when I worked in the bread industry:

Microbiological Testing Specification (start of life)

Target                Unacceptable                    Frequency

Bacillus spp                                 <10/g                     >100/g                             Survey

Yeasts & Moulds                        <100/g                  >1 x 103/g                        Survey

S.aureus                                        <20/g                      >100/g                          Survey

​However it does very much depend on your environment, formulation & declared product shelf life  because, unless you have a controlled atmosphere (most bakeries don't) you might give yourself unnecessarily strict standards.

​You could use micro testing to establish your standard but as bread is quite cheap & testing is quite expensive (and doesn't test the entire loaf) observation works best as a first pass.... so, take 100 packed loaves (or packs) from your line and retain half at room temperature ie. 20oC & half at 25oC (most customer's kitchens are warmer than 20oC so both incubation temperatures are required) and visually check daily, over 6 days for signs of mould development.  Mould development will start to be visually apparent from day 3 & by day 5/6 you can tell how many (%) are going to be affected at each temperature.  The exercise should be repeated at least 3 times (UK retailer standard).

In my experience although the standard is supposed to be "mould free" at end of life usually incidence is about 1%  - especially in summer where there are more atmospheric spores & growth proceeds at a faster rate.

1 Thank

Hi everyone,

Long time user of the forum first time poster.

I am looking to find out what the standard microbiological limits of mould are for bread products?

I have all the data already for pathogens in relation to levels of safety but cannot find any information on moulds. I have trawled through all the topics.

Thanks 

2 choices from google -

Welsh Bread specs.pdf   86.02KB   66 downloads

GSO micro specs inc. bread.pdf   750.39KB   74 downloads

Similar Discussion Topics
How to state Air / Yeast & Mould count ? Yeast and Mould Monitoring Control measures for preventing mould in jam Yeast and Mould Testing and Limit Requirements Is Yeast and Mould good enough for Ambient Air Testing? Mould testing Mould Identification following out of spec test result Can copper metal be used as mould in cake preparation? Yeast and Mould in Fresh Produce Is a high Yeast and Mould Count a quality or food safety issue?