What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What is the kill step for commercial Cold Brew Coffee?

Started by , Jan 23 2019 09:36 PM
6 Replies

Does anybody know what the kill step is for commercial Cold Brew Coffee? It seems to me that there isn't one, and relying on continuous refrigeration is not going to help with Listeria.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Documentation needed to approve Green (unroasted) Coffee supplier Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? AIB Kill Step Calculator Is there any method available for Cold filled and Hold process parameters RTD Coffee Processing Standards
[Ad]
No kill step.

Even the ones that have cream/milk?

Well hank, you did not say there was dairy as well.

Sorry, but I am astonished that there is no kill step. Here you have a product that from the best of my knowledge is made by taking coffee beans, grinding them, soaking them in water for something like 24 hours, then perhaps adding sugar and milk. It seems like it would be ideal growth conditions for all sorts of bacteria. If the refrigeration is not absolutely maintained throughout, including on trucks and in stores, they will reproduce. But Listeria multiplies at refrigeration temperatures.

I suspect that the roasting of the beans is acting as a kill step of sorts, but the longer the time between the roast and the brewing, the less effective it becomes.

Not my industry so I'm not sure, but maybe it's high pressure pasteurized similar to a cold pressed juice?

Hi Hank. The kill step for one of our cold bree clients in LATAM is HPP.

Similar Discussion Topics
Documentation needed to approve Green (unroasted) Coffee supplier Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? AIB Kill Step Calculator Is there any method available for Cold filled and Hold process parameters RTD Coffee Processing Standards Coffee Sensory Override Temperature checks at receiving for ingredients that must be kept cold Is it true that the final step to control a significant hazard shall be a CCP? Kill step for powdered products Cold Smoked Prawns HACCP