• IFSQN Member
  • 152 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 December 2023 - 08:35 PM

Hello,

I was wondering what you all think is the best way to do temperature checks at receiving for ingredients that must be kept cold, including juice concentrates and fresh leafy plant materials.  We have been using temperature strips, but we are looking at getting something better.  What do you think about infrared temperature guns, assuming we can get a NIST certificate ensuring accuracy?

We are certified for NSF GMP and SQF food safety, and manufacture dietary supplements in the United States under 21 CFR Part 111 and 21 CFR Part 117.

Matthew

G M

Grade - PIFSQN

• IFSQN Principal
  • 530 posts
  • 102 thanks
Excellent

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 December 2023 - 09:03 PM

Hello,

I was wondering what you all think is the best way to do temperature checks at receiving for ingredients that must be kept cold, including juice concentrates and fresh leafy plant materials.  We have been using temperature strips, but we are looking at getting something better.  What do you think about infrared temperature guns, assuming we can get a NIST certificate ensuring accuracy?

We are certified for NSF GMP and SQF food safety, and manufacture dietary supplements in the United States under 21 CFR Part 111 and 21 CFR Part 117.

Matthew

Infrared thermometers are ok for surface temperatures, but they're pretty useless for large volume objects, viscous liquids, etc. where a core temperature is also important.  For core temperatures a long conductive/metal probe or mechanical stem is hard to beat.  Those tend to be serviceable as well, where the infrareds are likely to just get replaced when they fail.

matthewcc

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 152 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 28 December 2023 - 09:05 PM

Infrared thermometers are ok for surface temperatures, but they're pretty useless for large volume objects, viscous liquids, etc. where a core temperature is also important.  For core temperatures a long conductive/metal probe or mechanical stem is hard to beat.  Those tend to be serviceable as well, where the infrareds are likely to just get replaced when they fail.

Thanks, do you think you can point me to a product that would be appropriate?

Tony-C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Fellow
  • 4,233 posts
  • 1293 thanks
Excellent

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom
  • Interests:My main interests are sports particularly football, pool, scuba diving, skiing and ten pin bowling.

Posted 29 December 2023 - 04:21 AM

Hi Matthew,

I think there is a lot to be said for using reliable approved suppliers and checking vehicle temperature records for incoming chilled/frozen deliveries.

I am not particularly keen on breaking the integrity of food by using an insertion probe unless hygienically controlled and absolutely necessary. Infra-red thermometers can be used for initial screening and contact thermometers for more accurate results.

Handheld Food Thermometer (with frozen food measurement tip) looks handy if you do need to probe both chilled and frozen products.

I would also have a master NPL/NIST calibrated thermometer to use to check site thermometers on a regular basis.

Kind regards,

Tony

AJL

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 339 posts
  • 21 thanks
Excellent

• Germany
    Germany

Posted 30 December 2023 - 11:00 PM

I'm with Tony. Basically you shouldn't break the integrity of items and use a probe unless you need to. But it sounds like what you are getting in is getting processed further so it might be a bit different.

For juice concentrates we say they need to be at max 10deg and use a NIR (which gives a rather average reading 🙄🙄). But these do not have (according to our legislation) any req to be under 5deg like animal products do. They just have a supplier recommendation of for example <8 deg. What is your temp req at recievals?

If you are processing the concentrates further, a probe like the Testo Tony showed is fine and way more reliable than a NIR. Can also be calibrated externally and possibly then used to check your other thermometers and loggers up against.
You can get some food grade disinfection wipes to clean it👍

Edited by AJL, 30 December 2023 - 11:08 PM.

matthewcc

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 152 posts
  • 19 thanks
Good

• United States
    United States

Posted 11 January 2024 - 02:59 PM

Thanks for the information.  I think it would be good if we have a device that is NIST-traceable.  I am not sure what EN 13485 is and I would be interested in what the United States equivalent would be--21 CFR 820?

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users