What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Responsibilities for copacker exporting customers product to USA

Started by , Jan 25 2019 02:40 PM
5 Replies

Hello all

I've exported to the US when I worked in meat which was very straightforward. Now we have a copacking request and I would like to make sure I've at least looked as what's really required so we're A) in compliance and B) incorporate it into our costs.

We are an acidified food producer (no longer applies in Canada) so my questions are

Do I have to file my process even though we're not exporting our "own" product---buyer would own the product once they pick up at our dock?

Must I register our company even though we won't "own" the product

And any other tidbits I ought to be aware of

Thanks a million

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
What are your job tasks and responsibilities? Quality Assurance Manager Responsibilities FSMS Team and Responsibilities Contract Packer Responsibilities QAP / Machine Operator Expectations and Responsibilities
[Ad]

No one has any words of wisdom???

An FYI: not sure but for some reason I noticed your first post never popped up under the 'view unreplied topics' tab. Maybe it was just mine that that happened too. Though if it happened for everyone - people might not have noticed your question. Wish I could help answer your question, but not my area of expertise.

Thanks KofIA I will pass that one to Simon!!!

Hi Scampi,

When you say "copacking", you mean that you're packaging someone else product? (Sorry, language barrier). If that's so, I read a couple of years ago that the last food operator in the "supply chain" before exporting to the U.S. must be register within the FDA , unless this operator just does "de minimis" operations; the cfr gives some examples of "de minimis" processes, but packaging is not one of them, so you probably need to register (and therefore be "inspectionable", if that word exists). Years ago my company sent their product to another company to package the product right before exporting, and they had to be register.

I don't have right now the link to the cfr chapter where it says so, and I don't know if there are exemptions for certain products (I think this is the same for every food product), but I could share it later if that's the información you're looking for...just let me know :).
1 Thank

Thanks Drumstick; that's what I suspected. 

Similar Discussion Topics
What are your job tasks and responsibilities? Quality Assurance Manager Responsibilities FSMS Team and Responsibilities Contract Packer Responsibilities QAP / Machine Operator Expectations and Responsibilities What responsibilities should be assigned in ISO 22000? Roles and responsibilities of FST Leader based on FSSC 22000 Question about the Responsibilities 1169/2011 Brand Owner Responsibilities Quality department scope and responsibilities- advice sought!