What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What makes someone a "Qualified Individual"?

Started by , Feb 06 2019 05:21 PM
4 Replies

What makes somone a "Qualified Individual"?  Is it training only or does experience play a role?  How would you define it?

This is often a source of discussion during my audits.  I feel it's hard to define a qualified individual because a single item doesn't define it.  In some cases training defines it, but in other cases experience is the defininfg factor.

I have been known to overcomplicate things on the occasion, would that be the case here?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
IQF (Individual Quick Frozen) Certficiation SQF certification for individual and company Labeling of the box instead of the individual units Foreign qualified facilities What makes a Food Safety Management System effective
[Ad]

This I believe will always be a topic of discussion. Each (education/training vs experience) come with their strengths and weakness.

I know there are more but here are a few threads. On the Food Safety Friday PowerPoint - it gives the definition of what the FDA considers a Qualified Individual.

https://www.ifsqn.co...s and HACCP.pdf

https://www.ifsqn.co...ied-individual/

1 Thank

According to the FSMA regulations for animal feed, 21 CFR Section 507.3, the definition is as follows:

Qualified individual means a person who has the education, training, or experience (or a combination thereof) necessary to manufacture, process, pack, or hold safe animal food as appropriate to the individual's assigned duties. A qualified individual may be, but is not required to be, an employee of the establishment.

I would say that you both are correct based on the definition at least if you look at the animal food regulations!

Agree with KfromIA, I think the bottom line is whichever "qualifications" you have (training, experience, etc.), you need to be able to demonstrate that you are competent in the subject matter (likely as a result of the training/experience) and are therefore qualified to be the primary person overseeing food safety programs, policies, etc. 

An example of a qualified individual would be that I am considered a qualified individual for the purpose of FSMA strictly based on experience and not on taking courses and gettting a certificate.

Likewise one could say that a person having been involved in food factory environment and conducting Internal Audits for years would also be a QI and be able to train others.

QI can also come from a combination of experience and training and while I have seen greenies take a PCQI course and get a certificate of training it is difficult to accept them as a QI as they lack practical experience.

Similar Discussion Topics
IQF (Individual Quick Frozen) Certficiation SQF certification for individual and company Labeling of the box instead of the individual units Foreign qualified facilities What makes a Food Safety Management System effective What makes a Food Safety Management System effective What makes a Food Safety Management System effective Do we need to list the individual ingredients for the sauce on the label? Can someone please explain what makes a facility High Care and High Risk under GFSI? Lot Coding Individual Bulk Items