What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Hazards Associated with Vanilla Beans

Started by , Feb 21 2019 10:47 PM
4 Replies

Hi.

I will be adding vanilla beans as one of our new ingredients, may I ask if someone knows any hazards associated with dried vanilla beans?

Thank you.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Seafood Hazards Master Guide USDA and Duck Hazards Can Someone Check My HACCP Hazards? Control the biological hazards documentation Biological Hazards Question
[Ad]

Hi C,

Do they undergo any treatments/processes before you receive them or does that happen at your facility?

Are you using the whole pod or just the seeds?  If it's just the seeds then the pod would be considered a physical hazard perhaps......it wouldn't make anyone ill, but could be a choking hazard

this link should be of some help

http://www.tis-gdv.d...lle/vanille.htm

And there may be Food Fraud issues if you are claiming a particular source.

part of the vanilla bean curing process is blanching.  however, this is usually done in areas where little consideration for food safety.  the susequent drying process is very labor intensive.   I would say there is a pathogen risk.  I would look into treated bean if the product does not go through a kill step at your facility.  

i have seen whole vanilla beans with small nails stuck into them increase weight.  

are you using whole beans, seeds, spent beans / seeds from extraction?

Similar Discussion Topics
Seafood Hazards Master Guide USDA and Duck Hazards Can Someone Check My HACCP Hazards? Control the biological hazards documentation Biological Hazards Question Are all biological hazards considered castatrophic in terms of severity? Considering raw material micro hazards in hazard analysis Sugar and salt as having no hazards in my Hazard Analysis FDA rules specifying the limit of glass, metal and other physical hazards in foods Physical hazards control measures