What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Concerned: I microwaved potato wedges from room temperature?

Started by , Apr 25 2019 08:30 PM
4 Replies
Hi everyone,

I have a question, I just came to the realisation of what I have done. This week in work has been stressful and so tiring that today on my day of I fell asleep after cooking tortellini and potato wedges for lunch at 12:00 am and I decided in a half sleep state to grab another bowl of tortellini and potato wedges around 5 hours later -> reheated them in the microwave.

The problem here lies in the storage temperature. I sealed them in a container at around 2:00pm but I forgot to put them in the fridge. Should I be concerned? I know baked potatoes should be refrigerated within an hour or 2 after cooking. And to be reheated above 60 degrees.

But I don't think microwaves go that high. Since the spicy potato wedges are potatoes I am stressing over if I get a rare but possible bacteria in the form of botulism.

Although I would like you guys to ease my worries but I also want the blunt truth. I am so torn.
Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Concerned with SQF 2000 Auditor Concerned about competence of 22k auditors
[Ad]

Well, since you apparently ate the reheated wedges, I guess you will find out at some point whether or not it was a smart idea to eat them.

I've successfully eaten chicken adobo (a fine Filipino dish) that has sat out on the counter at ambient temps a full 12 hours after it was cooked. Then again the cooking liquid contains quantities of vinegar and soy sauce that would probably "preserve" the meat well. 

If you don't die, or become violently ill, I guess you will have answered your question.

Marshall

I'd be torn over botulism as well, whatever you do don't fly in the next hour or so.  But I guess you will be ok.

No idea what tortellini is.  Vac.packed components ? Assuming "fully" cooked/good raw materials/hygienic kitchen the micro. content is presumably low.

The requirement of reheat to  minimum 60degC and that  microwaves can only achieve < 60degC are equally improbable (too hot to hold?) but hopefully at least 75degC internal centre was achieved.

The initial/room temperature surrounding the forgotten item is potentially a critical factor (T vs t). Heat wave in Ireland ? Seems unlikely in April. I guess < 15degC

Lag time ? No idea. Few hours?.

Assuming best options in above, I predict you will be OK. If toxin-related you should know pretty quick. :smile:

How are you ?

How are you feeling Jarod?

Similar Discussion Topics
Concerned with SQF 2000 Auditor Concerned about competence of 22k auditors