What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Kill Step Validation Research for RTE Cereal/Kasha

Started by , May 13 2019 10:27 PM
7 Replies

I need to conduct a hazard analysis for a RTE product. We are interested in producing Kasha: whole groat buckwheat which has been roasted. Moving forward I would like to collect validated research on the time and temperature for killing pathogens (such as salmonella, E. coli) for a CCP. Would anyone have a good source for such studies I might be able to reference.

Thanks

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? AIB Kill Step Calculator Kill step for powdered products Kill step measurement for bakery items Justifying not having a proper kill step in cookie production
[Ad]

So it has been roasted you said, how was it roasted? What was that time and temperature? Do you perform product testing? I worked at a nuts and seeds roasting company before, we sent many samples to a lab to help us do a validation study in the proper time and temperature with regards to log reduction of pathogens.

1 Thank

Hi Stone,

Start here and work backwards through their sources. You should have plenty of data in no time. 

1 Thank

I need to conduct a hazard analysis for a RTE product. We are interested in producing Kasha: whole groat buckwheat which has been roasted. Moving forward I would like to collect validated research on the time and temperature for killing pathogens (such as salmonella, E. coli) for a CCP. Would anyone have a good source for such studies I might be able to reference.

Thanks

Have a look through the attachment in this post -

https://www.ifsqn.co...eds/#entry67764

1 Thank

Thank you all for your responses!!! 

The Food Scientist- So it has been roasted you said, how was it roasted? What was that time and temperature? Do you perform product testing? I worked at a nuts and seeds roasting company before, we sent many samples to a lab to help us do a validation study in the proper time and temperature with regards to log reduction of pathogens.

The temp is 250 C/482 F for approx. 5 minutes. Test results for the roasted buckwheat (kasha):

Aerobic Plate Count

CFU/g

FDA-BAM 3.01 8th Ed/CMMEF 7.61, 4th Ed.

Moisture

%

AOAC 950.46

Protein

%

Performed at Exova Portland

Total Coliform/E.coli (Petrifilm)

CFU/g

<10/<10

AOAC 991.14 17th Ed

Yeast/Mold (BAM)

CFU/g

<10 Y/ <10 M

FDA-BAM 18.02 8th Ed./CMMEF 20.4, 4th Ed.

FoodSafetyPlanet- Thank you. I'll check this out.

Charles. C- Thanks to you as well. This helps out.

I apologize....the copy/paste of the tests results above did not translate well.

Then I suggest send your product to a lab and have them use the same time and temperature and have them see the log reduction in the target organisms you want to kill. They will do a procedure that mimics the roasting process you have.

1 Thank

Hi Stonemill,

I noted that no pathogen-related data was present in yr micro results.  Seems surprising.

As per my suggested attachment (and examples therein) there are 2 basic validation options -

(1) challenge test

(2) lethality measurement/calculation.

If done "analytically", (1) typically necessitates an external lab assistance.

(2) can be done (and often is) internally with an appropriate set-up and knowledge of target parameters such as D-value.

PS - assuming you routinely have a significant (ie measurable) level of the target pathogen in yr raw material, it is possible to (internally/externally) do a "crude" verification of yr lethality calculation by doing micro. analyses for the target pathogen on input/outputs.

Similar Discussion Topics
Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? AIB Kill Step Calculator Kill step for powdered products Kill step measurement for bakery items Justifying not having a proper kill step in cookie production Dehydration kill step validation How would you kill listeria if it is present in the drains and floors? Kill Step Validation - Laboratory Spices Time/Temp for kill step? Extrusion Kill Step Validation Help