What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

13.2.3.1 Ceilings - durable construction defined

Started by , Aug 29 2019 07:01 PM
5 Replies

Hey guys,

On our production floor our ceiling is basically just vinyl batt insulation. If we include this in our regular cleanings, are we ok? Can you guys give examples of what your ceilings are made of? Thanks in advance for the help.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Can critical limits be defined as a range value? New construction due to Expanding our FSC- Baking Drop ceilings, optimal ceilings for SQF seafood processing Left Construction to Join the Family Business Are there any written standards for construction of new food factory in UK?
[Ad]

I tried to attach an example photo of our ceiling but I don't see it. Sorry. 

Auditor normally looks at condition, clean appearance, evidence of mold, evidence of interior materials coming out, stuff falling down, etc.  A check is also made to determine how pest control inspects the area above the "ceiling."

Be sure to have a spec sheet from the manufacturer indicating the composition of the material.

Especially important that the material does not fume off.

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the reply. We don't have a drop ceiling - just sheet metal with a single layer of vinyl batt insulation. Some of it is currently moldy or in disrepair and we are working to clean that up. Just wanted to be sure that this material would qualify as "durable construction" so long as the insulation strips were in decent shape. 

I tried to attach an example photo of our ceiling but I don't see it. Sorry. 

You can upload a file (various types) via clicking the "more reply options" box at lower right-hand side.

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the reply. We don't have a drop ceiling - just sheet metal with a single layer of vinyl batt insulation. Some of it is currently moldy or in disrepair and we are working to clean that up. Just wanted to be sure that this material would qualify as "durable construction" so long as the insulation strips were in decent shape. 

Nope, said nothing about a drop ceiling. I understand the type of ceiling material you have, not the best choice as you have found since you mentioned mold - to me meaning infiltration of seepage thru the panels above.  It will not qualify as "durable" until it is in good condition and source of molding issue is determined and fixed.

Similar Discussion Topics
Can critical limits be defined as a range value? New construction due to Expanding our FSC- Baking Drop ceilings, optimal ceilings for SQF seafood processing Left Construction to Join the Family Business Are there any written standards for construction of new food factory in UK? What risks and controls do you have defined in your coffee roasting facility? Construction and layout for a new seafood processing facility Are ceilings mandatory according to BRC standards? Food Safety SOPs Following Construction Level of access for a contract worker, e.g., construction