What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Cardboard Food packaging microbiological limits

Started by , Sep 26 2019 02:35 AM
3 Replies

I am trying to find some guidance and microbiological limits on cardboard food packaging. We manufacture both primary and secondary contact packaging and have been carrying out swab testing every 3 months. However, my predecessor has documented salmonella, listeria and coliform limits at <1 which seems extremely low given that our swab results are coming back at <10. Any advice is appreciated.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Cardboard cores in meat facilities Sheets of plastic - storing in cardboard Waste Removal of 275 Gallons Cardboard Totes Transfer of Cardboard Packaging into High Care-High Risk CCP for Corrugated Cardboard
[Ad]

I am trying to find some guidance and microbiological limits on cardboard food packaging. We manufacture both primary and secondary contact packaging and have been carrying out swab testing every 3 months. However, my predecessor has documented salmonella, listeria and coliform limits at <1 which seems extremely low given that our swab results are coming back at <10. Any advice is appreciated.

Try this thread -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ing/#entry51255

I anticipate that <1(unitX) and < 10(unitZ) either have different units or both represent a "nil"  detection but by different methods.

Method / calc. details required to interpret.

Thanks Charles. Our food safety documentation does not state what the units are. The test results are <10 cfu/swab (APHA 3.8/APHA 9.73).

It seems that there is insufficient research to establish what the limits should be for board packaging.

Thanks again for your time

Thanks Charles. Our food safety documentation does not state what the units are. The test results are <10 cfu/swab (APHA 3.8/APHA 9.73).

It seems that there is insufficient research to establish what the limits should be for board packaging.

Thanks again for your time

Well, it's true there is a lack of data, but one might tentatively suggest -

TVC < 1 / cm2

Coliforms < 1 / cm2

zero-tolerant pathogens (eg Salmonella, L.monocytogenes) "not detected" / 100 cm2

Unfortunately, swab-based data is only useful for comparitive purposes if the area is included.

JFI, here is a much wider presentation for environmental surfaces -

https://www.ifsqn.co...ces/#entry60958

1 Thank

Similar Discussion Topics
Cardboard cores in meat facilities Sheets of plastic - storing in cardboard Waste Removal of 275 Gallons Cardboard Totes Transfer of Cardboard Packaging into High Care-High Risk CCP for Corrugated Cardboard Risk assessment for environmental monitoring in cardboard packaging How to eliminate cardboard from yoghurt filling hall? Are corrugated cardboard pallets safe for use for food packaging material? How to Deal with Outer Cardboard Packaging for Portion Cups in Prod. R Wax Cardboard Recycling/Composting California