What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Reference related to the strength of magnet bars in the food industry?

Started by , Oct 16 2019 10:34 AM

Hi,

Could you please support me with any documented evidence from FDA-EFSA - CODEX or any other reference  related to (a) the strength of magnet bar in food industry? and when should i replace the magnet bar ? i mean if it in a good shape and working good but strength is being decreased what is the minimum strength that should be my border line? 

All what i saw that the best practice said it is recommended to be 10000-12000 Gauss also i read all threads that related to magnet strength but i couldn't find a specific answer related to my question.

Thanks for your help.

The only "official" relevant Standard appears to be "0909MAGSEP1-2010".

Assuming various additional factors noted in above standard are complied with, eg pole spacing  max separation 22 mm, there appears to be general agreement that a minimum strength of 10,000 gauss should be available. (eg 2nd attachment  Post 4)

I also noticed this comment (see mag3 file attached) -

The Standard referred to requires new final magnets to have a minimum strength of 10,000 gauss when measured with a currently calibrated gauss meter with replacement required when magnet strength falls below 8,500 gauss or 15% below specification strength.

(clarifies the same number mentioned in attachment 2/post4).

"Best" operational results are not dependent solely on the measured strength in gauss and can be a complex mixture of factors depending on the specific application, eg (see files mag1/ mag2) -

•  Strength of the magnet at a minimum of 10,000 Gauss,
•  Pole spacing at a maximum gap of 22mm in 1” and 1.5” diameter bar and grate magnets,
•  Objective evidence (records) available confirming magnets are validated and verified to an NIST or known
standard at time of installation and then a minimum of annually thereafter,
•  Minimum coverage of approximately 80% of the product stream,
•  Sizing at maximum product contact without product blockage or hang-up,   
•  Cleaned at a defined frequency either manually or automatically, and
•  An efficiently designed retention area on the magnet to retain collections of magnetic contamination between
magnet cleanings.

The debate over whether magnet strength is preferably measured by Pull or Gauss test seems to be unresolved, eg compare these 2 websites- .

https://amrconsultin...r-pull-testing/

https://mpimagnet.co...ly-need-to-know

5 Replies

Hi,

Could you please support me with any documented evidence from FDA-EFSA - CODEX or any other reference  related to the strength of magnet bar in food industry? and when should i replace the magnet bar ? i mean if it in a good shape and working good but strength is being decreased what is the minimum strength that should be my border line? 

All what i saw that the best practice said it is recommended to be 10000-12000 Gauss also i read all threads that related to magnet strength but i couldn't find a specific answer related to my question.

Thanks for your help.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? Reference Standards for Glass Bottle Manufacturing Reference Standards for Good Warehousing Practices in Food Manufacturing Management of Change Procedure and Reference CFR reference for labeling of water in a fruit preparation
[Ad]

I want to add to the question: how can you test the strength? I can't afford a $500 test kit to be used 3x annually...

Hi,

Could you please support me with any documented evidence from FDA-EFSA - CODEX or any other reference  related to the strength of magnet bar in food industry? and when should i replace the magnet bar ? i mean if it in a good shape and working good but strength is being decreased what is the minimum strength that should be my border line? 

Thanks for your help.

See this thread and the various sub-links, eg those in Post 2 (especially attachment in the 1st sub-linked thread/post 7)

https://www.ifsqn.co...-trap-strength/

1 Thank

I had a contact with a consultant from AMR and he gave me these two attachments, it related to a reference.

Thanks guys for your help.

1 Like1 Thank

I had a contact with a consultant from AMR and he gave me these two attachments, it related to a reference.

Thanks guys for your help.

Both files refer back to the same original magnet standard.

The file linked in my previous post contains extracts from the same standard.

Regardless, thanks anyway.

1 Like

Hi,

Could you please support me with any documented evidence from FDA-EFSA - CODEX or any other reference  related to (a) the strength of magnet bar in food industry? and when should i replace the magnet bar ? i mean if it in a good shape and working good but strength is being decreased what is the minimum strength that should be my border line? 

Thanks for your help.

The only "official" relevant Standard appears to be "0909MAGSEP1-2010".

Assuming various additional factors noted in above standard are complied with, eg pole spacing  max separation 22 mm, there appears to be general agreement that a minimum strength of 10,000 gauss should be available. (eg 2nd attachment  Post 4)

I also noticed this comment (see mag3 file attached) -

The Standard referred to requires new final magnets to have a minimum strength of 10,000 gauss when measured with a currently calibrated gauss meter with replacement required when magnet strength falls below 8,500 gauss or 15% below specification strength.

(clarifies the same number mentioned in attachment 2/post4).

"Best" operational results are not dependent solely on the measured strength in gauss and can be a complex mixture of factors depending on the specific application, eg (see files mag1/ mag2) -

•  Strength of the magnet at a minimum of 10,000 Gauss,
•  Pole spacing at a maximum gap of 22mm in 1” and 1.5” diameter bar and grate magnets,
•  Objective evidence (records) available confirming magnets are validated and verified to an NIST or known
standard at time of installation and then a minimum of annually thereafter,
•  Minimum coverage of approximately 80% of the product stream,
•  Sizing at maximum product contact without product blockage or hang-up,   
•  Cleaned at a defined frequency either manually or automatically, and
•  An efficiently designed retention area on the magnet to retain collections of magnetic contamination between
magnet cleanings.

The debate over whether magnet strength is preferably measured by Pull or Gauss test seems to be unresolved, eg compare these 2 websites- .

https://amrconsultin...r-pull-testing/

https://mpimagnet.co...ly-need-to-know

mag1 - Magnet selection and validation,AMR,2016.pdf   986.58KB   201 downloads

mag2 - Magnets-for-Metal-Fragment-Control-and-Food-Safety,2017.pdf   1.05MB   183 downloads

mag3 - Magnetic Separation Efficiency In Food Industriy,2014.pdf   612.65KB   175 downloads

2 Thanks

Similar Discussion Topics
Can anyone share the FDA reference that pathogen microbes kill at above 100 degree celcius? Reference Standards for Glass Bottle Manufacturing Reference Standards for Good Warehousing Practices in Food Manufacturing Management of Change Procedure and Reference CFR reference for labeling of water in a fruit preparation Risk Reference list in BRCGS Issue 9 Dairy Reference Standard for Filling-Packing Room Reference for sampling plan Cross reference between BRC Packaging issue 6 and ISO 9001:2015 Reference of Regulatory Requirement for Supplier Approval