What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Walk-in Cooler Question!

Started by , Nov 22 2019 02:21 PM
2 Replies

Hello everyone!

We are a potato processing plant located in Canada and our third-party HVAC worker told us that we could pull from outside air in the winter time to help cool the walk-in cooler instead of running the compressor (decreasing hydro costs). I am wondering if this is acceptable practice by SQF or food safety in general? I guess if there is a fan + filter in place it is fine? As I know airborne contaminates would be a concern.

I don't know if this question is an obvious one. I am new to SQF and my food safety career so I have not come across this.... until now.

Thank you for your help!!

Jenna

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Nonconformance for can of unopened soda found in walk in refrigerator Is frost buildup in walk in freezers a food safety risk? Justifying an ambient walk-in freezer temp of 10F for fish processing PPE for goods in staff that walk through the food production area Required controls for a walk in cooler?
[Ad]

IMO: i would avoid it as going through this direction, you will need to maintain and show records of your air filtration and air quality.

Also keep in mind, internal HVAC system is more controlled as far as moisture is concerned, where as outside air concentration can change from day to day (Mold issues-based on the type of product you mentioned).

Most of the HVAC systems work based on atmospheric pressures and outside temperatures. So if it gets cooler outside, ultimately the pressure can be reduced on your HVAC system which means reduced cost during winter months.

on a lighter note: please keep the snow north of our border, I am never ready for it :lol:

1 Like2 Thanks

Thank you for your input! I will relay this message to my boss.

Haha! I am never ready for snow either!...even though it has been snowing here since Halloween :wacko:!

Similar Discussion Topics
Nonconformance for can of unopened soda found in walk in refrigerator Is frost buildup in walk in freezers a food safety risk? Justifying an ambient walk-in freezer temp of 10F for fish processing PPE for goods in staff that walk through the food production area Required controls for a walk in cooler? How to prevent ice forming on the floor of walk in freezers? Walk-In Refridgerator Thermometer