• Quick Navigation
Photo

How to prevent ice forming on the floor of walk in freezers?

Share this

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic
- - - - -

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

Dear All;

I need your help to solve this issue with regards our walk in freezers , the temperatures are maintain very well in all freezers , and because of getting high temperature , while openeing the door the hot air from out side will go inside and codist on the freezer seiling then finally will dropp off on the floor then become accumulated ice on the floor ,which is high risk because the staff who are entering the freezer might slip and fail down , so i need you recommendations on this issue , do you know a good material which can be fixed and covered the floor and prevent it from ice accumulations , (type of paint or somthing els?

please advice

Regards

Hygienic

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
  • Interests:SF
    TV
    Movies

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

Dear Hygienic,

The first step is usually to minimise the hot air inflow, eg auto-closing door / air curtains.

Uncontrolled traffic is very often the main problem.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:08 PM

Dear Hygienic,

The first step is usually to minimise the hot air inflow, eg auto-closing door / air curtains.

Uncontrolled traffic is very often the main problem.

Rgds / Charles.C

Dear Charles;

Thanks for your advice, we had fixed a plastic door internally, unlike the main freezer door bill the same no avail , still the same occures .

Regards

\hygienic

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 22 May 2012 - 04:21 AM

Dear Hygienic,

Yes, yr set-up is typical but it still often relates to the frequency of usage (remaining open) (and temp. difference of course).

My experience is similar to yours but auto-closing main door + curtain made a big difference although the workers were less happy of course. Fork lift trucks also helped. :smile:

Many cold rooms / workers IMEX use standard, low. temp. compatible cement (sometimes with anti-slip grooving added) + (relatively) non-slip boots (not cheap plastic).

Maybe the air flow in the room is not effective also. Full of product ?? :smile:

It's usually a combination of human error and design.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

uminocha

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks
Neutral

• United States
    United States

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:05 PM

You could try 50/50 antifreeze from an autopart store and spray it using a conventional spray bottle or tank type sprayer. Just be careful that it doesn't make the floor slippery. You should not need a lot -- a very thin film is all you would need.

tisher

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 15 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:54 AM

SALT!!

MM1

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Associate
  • 21 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Australia
    Australia

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:30 AM

Your main problem is to stop the water condensation and best way to stop water condensing is to have good airflow within the room and use of air curtains while door is open. This has hepled me.

MM

HACCP Mentor

HACCP Mentor

• IFSQN Member
  • 132 posts
  • 42 thanks
Good

• Australia
    Australia
  • Interests:Helping and mentoring others to achieve their food safety and HACCP compliance outcomes.

BRC Consultant

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

Yep - SALT....but you're only fixing the symptom and not the root cause

Click here to get The Ultimate Guide to HACCP Certification

Read our article on How to be a Successful HACCP Team Leader

Update your HACCP knowledge with our accredited Codex HACCP 2020 Update Online Training

HACCP Mentor is a global food safety compliance and education platform that makes food safety, quality and HACCP compliance easy.

Find us at www.haccpmentor.com

Adam Edkins

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 8 posts
  • 5 thanks
Neutral

• United Kingdom
    United Kingdom

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hi All

I had the same issue with our walk in freezer.

When the doors opened and hot air rushed in it was condensing on the curtains and running down on the floor where it created a nice block of ice waiting for someone to slip on.
I spoke with the manufacturers on the unit and ask for a solution, they advised that the rubber seals around the doors use a heater strip to stop ice formation and that they are able to run a rubber strip across the floor with the same heater strips in.

We installed the strip across the floor and problem solved, we now just get a little puddle of water which we have put procedures in place to ensure it is cleaned up regularly.

Hope this helps.

Thanked by 3 Members:

Charles.C

Grade - FIFSQN

• IFSQN Moderator
  • 20,542 posts
  • 5666 thanks
Excellent

• Earth
    Earth
    TV
    Movies

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hi All

When the doors opened and hot air rushed in it was condensing on the curtains and running down on the floor where it created a nice block of ice waiting for someone to slip on.
I spoke with the manufacturers on the unit and ask for a solution, they advised that the rubber seals around the doors use a heater strip to stop ice formation and that they are able to run a rubber strip across the floor with the same heater strips in.

We installed the strip across the floor and problem solved, we now just get a little puddle of water which we have put procedures in place to ensure it is cleaned up regularly.

Hope this helps.

Dear Adam Edkins,

Excellent post. :thumbup:
I previously omitted to mention that this feature can be a critical addition also (at least in the door area anyway) . In fact a professional system supplier will IMEX automatically install an underground unit at the door location. There is a slight risk that forklifts will crush the strip unless adequately protected.

Rgds / Charles.C

Kind Regards,

Charles.C

hygienic

Grade - SIFSQN

• IFSQN Senior
  • 457 posts
  • 22 thanks
Neutral

• Earth
    Earth

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

Hi All

Hope this helps.

Dear Adam Edkins:

Nice Idea , Thanks for the post .I think it will control much .But cleaners should take care while cleaning , water can affect the heating system

Regards
Hygienic

Edited by hygienic, 01 June 2012 - 09:23 AM.

calamari

Grade - Active

• IFSQN Active
  • 3 posts
  • 1 thanks
Neutral

• Canada
    Canada

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:48 PM

You could try 50/50 antifreeze from an autopart store and spray it using a conventional spray bottle or tank type sprayer. Just be careful that it doesn't make the floor slippery. You should not need a lot -- a very thin film is all you would need.

what did i just read ? NO NO NO . Antifreeze is poison and it SHOULD not be inside any food plant

Thanked by 1 Member:

saqibfst

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 58 posts
  • 10 thanks
Neutral

• Pakistan
    Pakistan

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

To prevent the hot air entering the cold store u can make the buffer area so it will help to reduce make ice on the floor.

regards
saqibfst

Dear All;

I need your help to solve this issue with regards our walk in freezers , the temperatures are maintain very well in all freezers , and because of getting high temperature , while openeing the door the hot air from out side will go inside and codist on the freezer seiling then finally will dropp off on the floor then become accumulated ice on the floor ,which is high risk because the staff who are entering the freezer might slip and fail down , so i need you recommendations on this issue , do you know a good material which can be fixed and covered the floor and prevent it from ice accumulations , (type of paint or somthing els?

please advice

Regards

Hygienic

azaam nafiz

Grade - MIFSQN

• IFSQN Member
  • 55 posts
  • 56 thanks
Neutral

• Sri Lanka
    Sri Lanka

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Thanks Adam :thumbup:

Hi All

Hope this helps.

Share this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users