What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

What do hairy white spots in a brownie mean?

Started by , Dec 12 2019 04:55 AM
9 Replies

What do white spots in brownie mean? When magnified, these are hairy with spots at the hair tips.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Are we allowed to sanitize white safety shoes with anti fungal spray and reuse for other people? Use of white out in office and plant? White label - requirements for food manufacturing Product White Labelling-Product Relabel Only White Powder Exist in Surface of Polyethylene Film
[Ad]

Are the white spots visual without being magnified?

Mould, yeast outbreak or lumps of flour?

Does the brownie have a chocolate outer layer/coating?
If so, in addition to the potential micro considerations then this could possibly also be chocolate "bloom" (although I'm less sure about the "hairy" presentation you're seeing).

Somewhat hesitant to give a Wikipedia link as a reference in this most esteemed of forums, but nonetheless this does give a reasonable overview: https://en.wikipedia...Chocolate_bloom

1 Thank

Are the white spots visual without being magnified?

Mould, yeast outbreak or lumps of flour?

Cottony without a microscope.

Hairy or fibrous if magnified 

Does the brownie have a chocolate outer layer/coating?
If so, in addition to the potential micro considerations then this could possibly also be chocolate "bloom" (although I'm less sure about the "hairy" presentation you're seeing).

Somewhat hesitant to give a Wikipedia link as a reference in this most esteemed of forums, but nonetheless this does give a reasonable overview: https://en.wikipedia...Chocolate_bloom

I've considered it being a chocolate bloom but blooms occurs only on chocolates and confectionery, not baked products, right?

I've considered it being a chocolate bloom but blooms occurs only on chocolates and confectionery, not baked products, right?

I'd be very surprised to see it on the baked goods themselves, hence the question about whether there is a chocolate coating.

I guess it could also affect chocolate chips/chunks if visible at the surface, but then you'd probably notice the pattern if it was only visible on those ;)

1 Thank

Sounds like mold to me. But are they white white and not whitish/greenish? The bakery I worked at we had those and customers complained so we changed the formula to add preservatives.

1 Thank

Sounds like mold to me. But are they white white and not whitish/greenish? The bakery I worked at we had those and customers complained so we changed the formula to add preservatives.

Molds come in all the colors of the rainbow.

Easiest check would be to hang onto it for a few days and see if it gets bigger. That would pretty much confirm it as mold unless there's a cool chemistry reaction happening I'm unfamiliar with.

1 Thank

Chocolate, or compound chocolate will bloom, and turn white... or part of the inclusions/toppings will turn white if the fat in the chocolate was held at higher than specified temperatures or the fat in the chocolate or compound had oxidized. Rancidity follows.

Marshall

Thanks for the replies.

To dig deeper, why don't blooms occur in baked products but only on chocolate and chocolate coatings?

Does it have something to do with the porousity of the surface?

Similar Discussion Topics
Are we allowed to sanitize white safety shoes with anti fungal spray and reuse for other people? Use of white out in office and plant? White label - requirements for food manufacturing Product White Labelling-Product Relabel Only White Powder Exist in Surface of Polyethylene Film Customer complaint - Holes in White Chocolate Is it necessary to paint the interior perimeter of the warehouse white to 18 inches? Outside, In: Mapping Food Processing’s Pest Hot Spots Outside In: Mapping Food Processing’s Pest Hot Spots Are dry erase white boards allowed inside a food production area?