What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Understanding TPC in spices

Started by , Jan 27 2020 01:35 PM
3 Replies

Good morning all,

Trying to understand Total Plate Count in spices and what is acceptable. I have very limited education in microbiology and i'm stuck on this.

We have carried Ginger through 3 suppliers in the past, all 3 gave us a spec sheet showing 100k CFU/g max for TPC. We received a sample from one of our other suppliers. Their spec sheet does not list TPC and after testing their sample, third part lab lists the TPC as 970k.CFU/g. What is acceptable? what is the norm?

Just trying to understand exactly what this means, i have not seen a TPC this high in any of my other lots/coas of any item we sell here. I guess what i am asking is if their a regulated number that we cannot go above, i cant find one anywhere. To me, the sample coming back at 970k is dirty/low quality but i'm not sure i have enough experience to make that call.

Thank you.

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Understanding CCP for Raw Meat Help with understanding SSOP form 9CFR416.12(a) Free download: Understanding the “General Principles of Food Hygiene” (including GHP and HACCP) published in 2020 by Codex Alimentarius, and its Understanding the difference between PRP, OPRP and CCP Understanding the difference between PRP, OPRP & CCP – An introduction
[Ad]

Check this:

I used this one to help guide me for our Micro limits:

https://www.fsis.usd...pdf?MOD=AJPERES

1 Like1 Thank

Also, see the following thread previously as it could help:

https://www.ifsqn.co...spices-for-usa/

We have carried Ginger through 3 suppliers in the past, all 3 gave us a spec sheet showing 100k CFU/g max for TPC. We received a sample from one of our other suppliers. Their spec sheet does not list TPC and after testing their sample, third part lab lists the TPC as 970k.CFU/g. What is acceptable? what is the norm?

Just trying to understand exactly what this means, i have not seen a TPC this high in any of my other lots/coas of any item we sell here. I guess what i am asking is if their a regulated number that we cannot go above, i cant find one anywhere. To me, the sample coming back at 970k is dirty/low quality but i'm not sure i have enough experience to make that call.

Few things to consider:

How many samples did you run for microbial analysis?

What was the sample treated by steam/IRR (method of treatment)?

Do you have any specs in place for your company for TPC? if yes, do the results comply?

In simple terms, yes 970k is a high number, but there are factors to consider before making that call (treated vs untreated product)...

Good morning all,

Trying to understand Total Plate Count in spices and what is acceptable. I have very limited education in microbiology and i'm stuck on this.

Thank you.

As previously noted, the first key question is whether the item is RTE ??????

If not, I doubt that any consensus limits exist.

Similar Discussion Topics
Understanding CCP for Raw Meat Help with understanding SSOP form 9CFR416.12(a) Free download: Understanding the “General Principles of Food Hygiene” (including GHP and HACCP) published in 2020 by Codex Alimentarius, and its Understanding the difference between PRP, OPRP and CCP Understanding the difference between PRP, OPRP & CCP – An introduction Understanding the difference between PRP, OPRP & CCP – An introduction BRC Guidelines in Understanding Requirements for new site Need help understanding log reduction Need help understanding clause BRC 3.5.2.2 Help my understanding on how to get FSSC 22000 certification