What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Snack Food Kill Step Requirement

Started by , Mar 05 2020 03:35 PM
4 Replies

Are snack food manufacturers using raw materials that have gone through a validated kill step required to perform an additional kill step in their own process?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
VACCP vulnerability assessment for spice mixes and snack pellets Reprocessing and Rework Limits for Snack Food? Metal and Foreign Detection for Dressing Cup in Snack Tray Snack Bar Production Line Equipment Manufacturers Do we need USDA to be involved for the permit if we use collagen in snack products?
[Ad]

Are snack food manufacturers using raw materials that have gone through a validated kill step required to perform an additional kill step in their own process?

Hi ganderson,

It may depend on the specific situation.

Can you add a little context ? eg type pf product involved / further manipulation ?

Charles,

This is a dry, low moisture operations that is taking a base pretzel and simply adding a vegetable oil / spice blend to the surface. The CFR indicates we are ok without a kill step if our raw materials have been through a kill step and we do nothing to adulterate the product during our own processing.

Charles,

This is a dry, low moisture operations that is taking a base pretzel and simply adding a vegetable oil / spice blend to the surface. The CFR indicates we are ok without a kill step if our raw materials have been through a kill step and we do nothing to adulterate the product during our own processing.

Is there an existing (safe) history of analogous processes to the one above ?

I guess it all comes down to material-procedure risk assessment/hygiene. I have no familiarity with pretzel however  I can imagine that the spice is already one sensitive component.

Seems analogous to a yoghurt process where various items (fruits, nuts) can be added after fermentation. The caveat is that if something does go wrong the risk is high..

1 Like

I work for spice blending company and we bring everything in already processed since we do not have a kill step in our plant.  So we are probably a little over kill on GMP's and sanitation because the main risk to the product is us.  As part of our risk analysis I call out the treatment step for all the ingredients coming in and we also measure moisture content to show that bacteria is not capable of growing in our blends.  We do get some raw flours but we conduct micro testing on them prior to use to ensure they are free from bacteria and then treat them like an allergen scheduling wise, ran at the end of the day and cleaning conducted before going to other products.

Similar Discussion Topics
VACCP vulnerability assessment for spice mixes and snack pellets Reprocessing and Rework Limits for Snack Food? Metal and Foreign Detection for Dressing Cup in Snack Tray Snack Bar Production Line Equipment Manufacturers Do we need USDA to be involved for the permit if we use collagen in snack products? Where might one find proper data loggers to validate a Kill Step in snack foods? Under GFSI /FDA can you repack finished meat products in a snack manufacturer? Scientific study regarding kill step validation of frying process for snack foods Looking for industry references on metal standards to use as a guide in RTE snack manufacturing Flavor Syrup Manufacture to Open a Snack Shop?