What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

HACCP Record Retention

Started by , Jul 22 2020 04:57 PM
6 Replies

Hi guys, I wanted to know what your policy is for HACCP record retention. I work for a small bakery that carries cakes, pastries, and sandwiches. My manager has told me that we can keep the record for 12 months, but I've done some research and found that record retention ranges anywhere from 12 months to a few years. What's your policy and is 12 months an acceptable time frame to keep all records? 

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
HACCP certification for SQG Ed 9.0 - System Element 2.1.1.5 HACCP Training for Flexible Packaging Industry No CCPs in a HACCP Plan - Can This Be Possible? Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? Fair Price to charge for developing 2 HACCP plans
[Ad]

Definitely not 12 months: as per CFIA, it's 2 years, as per GFSI (we have FSSC) - 3 years. Your could establish your own policy stating, for instance, 5 years, if you want, but 3+ for sure.

12 months is not acceptable.

3-5 is the norm.

We keep for 4 years.

We keep for 5 years. I have seen 3-5 years.

Hi guys, I wanted to know what your policy is for HACCP record retention. I work for a small bakery that carries cakes, pastries, and sandwiches. My manager has told me that we can keep the record for 12 months, but I've done some research and found that record retention ranges anywhere from 12 months to a few years. What's your policy and is 12 months an acceptable time frame to keep all records? 

Is there a specific, haccp related, Standard involved ??? (ie an audit is anticipated ?)

One occasional guideline is that the retention must minimally equal the shelf life but this usually has a caveat that anyway cannot be less than (w/wo the word "additional")  X months/years.As you comment,  X varies due various causes, eg Regulatory Bodies, audited Standard, experiences, etc.

Is there a specific, haccp related, Standard involved ??? (ie an audit is anticipated ?)

One occasional guideline is that the retention must minimally equal the shelf life but this usually has a caveat that anyway cannot be less than (w/wo the word "additional")  X months/years.As you comment,  X varies due various causes, eg Regulatory Bodies, audited Standard, experiences, etc.

Thanks for the feedback, Charles. We will start our annual HACCP audit this year. I have the policies and procedures in place but was stuck on record keeping/retention. I was leaning towards 12 months because the shelf life for our products is only 1-2 days. 

Devils Advocate here, what happens if I throw your finished product for a period of time then eat it?

I know that there are requirements for FSMA that have a minimum of 2 years record retention requirements, do you export to US?

Similar Discussion Topics
HACCP certification for SQG Ed 9.0 - System Element 2.1.1.5 HACCP Training for Flexible Packaging Industry No CCPs in a HACCP Plan - Can This Be Possible? Should you list your preventative controls on your HACCP process flow chart? Fair Price to charge for developing 2 HACCP plans HACCP plan for chocolate and risk area decision tree HACCP Flow charts and 'confidentiality' Implementing HACCP/BRC for a Logistics Company Is HACCP broken? How would I verify my HACCP Plan for new product?