What's New Unreplied Topics Membership About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy
[Ad]

Potential cause of deviation between theoretical calculation and Laboratory results for carbohydrates in a spice mix?

Started by , Jul 23 2020 01:41 PM
7 Replies

Hi,

I perform an energy calculation for the product (spice mix) - theoretical according to the raw material specifications.

And - I have just received laboratory results which are different from the theoretical calculation - carbohydrates.

Theoretical calculation - carbohydrates 32 g/100 g

Laboratory results - carbohydrates 48 g/100 g

Why there is such a deviation - what could be the cause?

Share this Topic
Topics you might be interested in
Haddock Fish - orange/pink in colour - potential causes? How to deal with a potential new hire with a broken foot? Potential Metal Contamination HACCP Plan - Potential Customer Misuse Can someone identify this potential wheat fungus?
[Ad]

I've experienced that couple times, but not such a big discrepancy. I might've happened because of difference in spec nutrient data and real values. What calculator do you have? I'm using Nutracoster, accurate and easy-to use program.

1 Thank

To add: lab testing would always be the most reliable source of nutrition data.

Hi,

My calculation - table Excel.

Hi - could the deviation be explained by the fact that the product samples had different product moisture?

The more water - the less nutrients, however your product is spices, they're not supposed to be wet, are they? Plus, the difference is too big, 32 vs 48 g... Try to get advise from your lab scientists.

P.S. manual calculation is OK, I've done it before getting Nutracoster.

Presumably one possible cause for deviation is that the composition used for the calculation (or the calculation itself) is incorrect ?

Or the lab is not reliable ?

(I always send 2 samples for lab analyses + a known dummy one if available)

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for the comments - the laboratory had not taken into account the moisture content of the product!

Similar Discussion Topics
Haddock Fish - orange/pink in colour - potential causes? How to deal with a potential new hire with a broken foot? Potential Metal Contamination HACCP Plan - Potential Customer Misuse Can someone identify this potential wheat fungus? Potential issues with repacking Roasted Red Peppers Potential risks of repacking cheese in ambient Help! Potential help from industry for week assignment Risk assessing string as a potential foreign body implementation and controls. Potential hazards from compressed air during sachetting